What have you fixed/replaced that actually fixed the problem?

toronto_1990sc

I've been asking questions and going through the forums backwards and forwards trying to diagnose my "shortly-after-hitting the-road-usually in hot weather-in-the-city-stalling at stop lights-bucking like a mule-sometimes dead tach-then everything's fine" problem...

I've seen a dozen people with similar and different problems and 10 dozen opinions as to what component to fix/replace.

so...my question to everyone is...have you ever had a problem with your SC..replaced something, and actually had it fix the problem? if so, what was it?

also any additional advice regarding my problem is appreciated. so far the lead culprit is the DIS (according your advice...thanks).

:)

>I've seen a dozen people with similar and different problems and 10 dozen opinions as to what component to fix/replace.

Only 10 dozen...someone isn't pulling their weight. Welcome to the internet.

These cars have complex electronics. There are several things that can gang up to cause issues such as what you are seeing, and until they're all fixed, the problem can hang around...or. there can be just one problem, different from the last guy, and when it is fixed, bingo - problem gone.

Asking the question you did can't avoid or change the fact that there is a list of things that may be contributing. Telling you one thing may not be relative to your particular situation and leave you once again scratching your head. Nothing's going to change that, sorry. Everyone just wants to see you get your car going, so you may have to pay for that generosity in patience :)

List of things:
- cam sensor
- wiring harness
- ground straps
- DIS
- ignition switch

That's the short list.

Don't swap in used parts or you'll just increase the chances of further tail-chasing.

Spend money on the least expensive items first. Start with cam sensor and while you're in there make sure the harness hasn't been fouled/cut/burnt and the connector is clean, snug and fully seated.

Read the codes before spending money and keep the receipts for anything you buy unless you love keeping spares.

All that said, I had the same problem and a fresh cam sensor made it all better...been over a year now...knock on wood.

Last edited:
i fought with a random lopey idle - no power - erratic tach for 2 years with no codes. finally wouldn't start and pulled cam sensor code. changed sensor and all has been well. no more hard start when warm or other previously mentioned symptoms. i am still using my original dis and coil pack with over 205,000 miles.

Don't swap in used parts or you'll just increase the chances of further tail-chasing.

Even from a car with no issues, You can be chasing your tail i guess.. Swapped everything but crank sensors and the issue on my SC stayed the exact same.. but the parts back into the XR7 and that car fired up with out a hint of a complaint.. :rolleyes:

now with a code 212 and 214 I'm going to replace the Cam sensor and hope for the best :)

I'd suggest getting very familiar with a Factory Service Manual.

I can't tell you how many hours I've read and reread that thing.

guess it's a new DIS and cam sensor for me....then take it from there.

thanks!!!

DIS look like a plug and play fix...what about the cam sensor?

I'd suggest getting very familiar with a Factory Service Manual. I can't tell you how many hours I've read and reread that thing.

I got my '91 Shop Manual and EVTM when i got my '91 XR7 in 1997.. they're so worn out it's not even funny.. even used them to Fix other peoples SC's :)

I'm just trying to think of what on all my cars was an easy fix that didn't throw any Codes..

whoa...

>DIS look like a plug and play fix..

Sorry, I think you may missing the point.

If you simply 'plug in' a new DIS, cam sensor etc. without inspecting the connectors, harness and grounds you might as well leave the hood closed. This has got to be the main reason so many 'repairs' result in frustrated attempts.

These cars depend on critical levels of voltage and complete and reliable ground paths. If you don't inspect every connector you touch closely you can easily overlook part of your issues. And this can be just the beginning.

You have to understand and apply the concept of how sensors, senders, modules, EMI shielded harnesses, connectors and grounds work together on these cars (not to mention understanding how the computer treats new inputs).

If it was easy, there wouldn't be so many threads with so many questions :)

Last edited:
>DIS look like a plug and play fix..

Sorry, I think you may missing the point.

If you simply 'plug in' a new DIS, cam sensor etc. without inspecting the connectors, harness and grounds you might as well leave the hood closed. This has got to be the main reason so many 'repairs' result in frustrated attempts.

These cars depend on critical levels of voltage and complete and reliable ground paths. If you don't inspect every connector you touch closely you can easily overlook part of your issues. And this can be just the beginning.

You have to understand and apply the concept of how sensors, senders, modules, EMI shielded harnesses, connectors and grounds work together on these cars (not to mention understanding how the computer treats new inputs).

If it was easy, there wouldn't be so many threads with so many questions :)

yeah I'm sure you are right, all which is confusing for someone like me just learning about this stuff. I'm a smart guy but so many replies seem to assume I understand all these terms and acronyms. ("EMI"?)

I understand the basics of how cars work but I've never held a voltmeter in my life. I've always just paid someone. But I would like to learn and do as much as I can myself.

is there a glossary on this site?

is there a "how to" section somewhere? (ex "heres how to install a new cam sensor in detail" etc)

do connectors, harnesses and grounds fail on a relatively low mileage stock SC?

someone needs to write a Supercoupe repair for DUMMIES book

Throwing parts at a problem isn't always the worst thing you can do. If your "guess" is reasonable and the part cost+time is reasonable, then I believe its a problem solving technique. It comes down to judgement, and that comes from experience. IF I were in your shoes, I would (based on owning 3 of these cars and having replaced, fixed, or dissassembled just about every thing on them at least once) :rolleyes: I would check wiring/connectors 1st, pull codes 2nd, replace the cam sensor 3nd. DIS 4th. Crank sensor 5th (but only if there were a solid no-start no-fire condition).

Ok.. actually.... I wouldn't pull codes at all.. I'd spend $35 on a cam sensor and move on. But I know the condition of my cars VERY well and all 3 are drivers. :D

Throwing parts at a problem isn't always the worst thing you can do. If your "guess" is reasonable and the part cost+time is reasonable, then I believe its a problem solving technique. It comes down to judgement, and that comes from experience. IF I were in your shoes, I would (based on owning 3 of these cars and having replaced, fixed, or dissassembled just about every thing on them at least once) :rolleyes: I would check wiring/connectors 1st, pull codes 2nd, replace the cam sensor 3nd. DIS 4th. Crank sensor 5th (but only if there were a solid no-start no-fire condition).

Ok.. actually.... I wouldn't pull codes at all.. I'd spend $35 on a cam sensor and move on. But I know the condition of my cars VERY well and all 3 are drivers. :D

thanks for the advice....is there a cam sensor replace 'how to' somewhere?

heh There may be some place..
I know i may be able to do up one in this coming weekend.. since i'll be doing it myself.. along with Reinstalling the ignition wiring, DIS module, Super charger, ect, ect..

Dang i hope it runs well enough for the following saturday.. planing on lending it to a friend for a cruise well i drive my Rufolf ('89 XR7)

Also if you can find the OE ford manuals.. they are the best chioce and are pretty detailed on any repair you can think of doing on these cars..

heh There may be some place..
I know i may be able to do up one in this coming weekend.. since i'll be doing it myself.. along with Reinstalling the ignition wiring, DIS module, Super charger, ect, ect..

Dang i hope it runs well enough for the following saturday.. planing on lending it to a friend for a cruise well i drive my Rufolf ('89 XR7)

Also if you can find the OE ford manuals.. they are the best chioce and are pretty detailed on any repair you can think of doing on these cars..

cool thanks.

Remove the belts, and the SC belt tensioner if it gives you more working space. You need a 5.5mm socket. 7/32" will work also. Unplug the cam sensor, remove the 2 tiny bolts holding it on, remove the old one and install the new one.
Put everything back together.

You'll need a breaker bar to hold the tensioners back while you remove the belts. The bolt size is 18mm. Put it on the bolt in the center of the pulley, twist clockwise, remove the belt and slowly release the tensioner. The tensioner mount bolt is also 18mm. It holds the tensioner to the bracket.

Here's something you may want to check. Once my SC was wrecked and I started pulling engine components, I noticed a section of the engine harness that appeared to be in perfect condition. However, nearly every wire in that 1inch section was rubbed through. How? No idea. The wires were bad, but the plastic wrap crap was good. Enjoy.:p

Btw, this 1in was towards the curbside of the car, about 3-4 inches from the cam sensor.

There are LOTS of "threads" that the OP NEVER advises the final outcome. Even if it's "I gave up and burned it" or " I paid the shop and they traced it to <whatever> and the problem is gone".

Lots of useful info on SCoA, could be more if OP's advised outcome.

There are LOTS of "threads" that the OP NEVER advises the final outcome. Even if it's "I gave up and burned it" or " I paid the shop and they traced it to <whatever> and the problem is gone".

Lots of useful info on SCCoA, could be more if OP's advised outcome.

Don't you just love that?? That's one thing i truly dislike about people posting questions.. getting multiple answers and never saying which one it was that corrected the problem...

Now if i can only fix the hard start only when hot issue my SC has...

Back