Cost to run 12's?

tvt_design

What is the approximate cost and list of parts to run 12's in these cars. Our shop currently picked up a 95 auto from a customer with an outstanding bill and we want to play around with it a bit before selling it.

I'm thinking exhaust, FMIC, Intake, and pulley.

We do a lot of work on AMG and SRT6 cars and with the above mentioned mods we can get an E55 into the mid 11's (with tuning of course).

hm

not the right car to be tryin to get into the 12's unless you really love 'em...get in running well and sell it asap!

Ported Heads, CAM, MPX blower, 3.55 gears, 2400 stall or higher but don't go over 3000. A good tune. Supporting mods.

Probably do it for about 3000.

Fraser

exhaust, intake, FMIC and pulley will most likely get you into the 14's.

definitely not 12's

Highly under-rated.....My car has been into the 11's with little mods....just a bit of nitrous though...;)

Off the bottle however, it can run high 12's with what you posted above...

The car runs flawlessly now, we did all the service work.

I'm really surprised that these cars do not respond that well to mods. Are the stock heads and cam that big of a restriction?

We will be doing all the work ourselves and can add porting to that as well. I'm looking to spend 2k-2.5k and sell for under 4k. Possible?

Are the stock heads and cam that big of a restriction?
Yes. You can forget about the 12's without porting the heads and installing an aggressive cam along with all of the other things mentioned. Don't just throw a bunch of parts at it though. It needs to be a tuned package.

You get alot more money for these cars if they are totally stock. Alot of people tend to shy away from the modded ones and won't pay the bucks for them.

Also, even a very low mileage SC that is stock that is in great shape won't get $2500 as alot of folks around here don't think they are worth that much. Just look at the foresale board and the folks that have really nice cars get roasted if they ask for more than $2500 or so.

Fraser

You get alot more money for these cars if they are totally stock. Alot of people tend to shy away from the modded ones and won't pay the bucks for them.

Also, even a very low mileage SC that is stock that is in great shape won't get $2500 as alot of folks around here don't think they are worth that much. Just look at the foresale board and the folks that have really nice cars get roasted if they ask for more than $2500 or so.

Fraser

Maybe we are looking in different for sale sections, but I see quite a few in the 4-5K mark for sale. Most are older too.

You will never get your investment in mods out of this car...Sell it now if you want to maximize your profit

Sell it stock. These cars are hard to get gobs of power out of, a proper recipy will get you there but even if you try your best and stay within the recipy you can come short. The cars are simply too heavy to make them go fast and lots of power is needed. Stick to the AMGs you are a glutton for punishment to get these boats to run lower then 13s. You will have an easier time because its an AUTO but still.

I don't understand why everyone is so down on this. The man can run 12's within the budget he has suggested, and who knows how much he will be able to sell the car for. Has anyone even bothered to ask where is is located? How the heck can you even suggest what the car may be worth without having some idea of the local market.

Telling him he can't sell it to anyone here because we would prefer a stock version is also nonsense. My cars aren't stock. Anyone interested in buying one of them?

Come on guys. Give the guy a break and a little helpful advice. Mike's the only one who really answered the guys question although in my mind anyway he pretty much summed it all up pretty well. Yes it can be done. But it requires a well thought out approach and not just throwing individual parts at it.

Ira

I was being sarcastic about the getting price, knowing how some folks around here wouldn't even give the $900 black book value for a 20 mile pristine condition SC that has never been touched :rolleyes:.

I wasn't sarcastic though about getting more money for an unmodded car.

Fraser

I don't understand why everyone is so down on this. The man can run 12's within the budget he has suggested, and who knows how much he will be able to sell the car for. Has anyone even bothered to ask where is is located? How the heck can you even suggest what the car may be worth without having some idea of the local market.

Telling him he can't sell it to anyone here because we would prefer a stock version is also nonsense. My cars aren't stock. Anyone interested in buying one of them?

Come on guys. Give the guy a break and a little helpful advice. Mike's the only one who really answered the guys question although in my mind anyway he pretty much summed it all up pretty well. Yes it can be done. But it requires a well thought out approach and not just throwing individual parts at it.

Ira

Ira, I have seen many like this that aquire the car and the only thing in mind is making hit a certain goal. Thats alittle easier said then done. Lots of reading and proper execution of parts are required. Sometimes being upfront is the best. Ive seen both spectrums Ive had cars where simple boltons netted large gains and makes for a very nice tuner car. But the SC is simply not that kind of a car, even with the execution of parts then you get to deal with the maintnence of the broken parts that go with going outside of the box. Ive been at this darn thing long enough to know that unless you aquire something that someone else built you are in for long hours and expensive parts. ;)

I think I have about $5,000 into mine, over time of course. Def not a 12 second car. I'd estimate 13's though.

Ira

His budget is $2000-2500...How will he achieve his objective w/o a huge shot of nos?

Ok so this doesn't look like it will be too feasible...

The whole idea with this car is to make it fast, enjoy it while we have it, and then sell it to break even. Its already a loss when you accept a car instead of payment, so making money is not even being considered here. Who knows maybe we'll pick up some business from racing it.

The only parts I really see costing money are the cams and pulley. The exhaust will be cheap if we go with T409 and a FMIC is extremely cost effective. All the piping will be constructed from current stock, most of which will be left overs from other projects.

Only other question I have is which software/hardware is needed to tune?

Ok so this doesn't look like it will be too feasible...

The whole idea with this car is to make it fast, enjoy it while we have it, and then sell it to break even. Its already a loss when you accept a car instead of payment, so making money is not even being considered here. Who knows maybe we'll pick up some business from racing it.

The only parts I really see costing money are the cams and pulley. The exhaust will be cheap if we go with T409 and a FMIC is extremely cost effective. All the piping will be constructed from current stock, most of which will be left overs from other projects.

Only other question I have is which software/hardware is needed to tune?

FMIC isnt extremely cost effective on this car...cam and pulley are both inexpensive...these cars do not respond to mods like the cars you are used to working on...

.nobody has mentioned that if you have large goals power wise as soon as you deal with one choke point,you encounter another...

to achieve your goals w/o nos you literally have to change all of the inlet system including the supercharger head,exhaust system,upgrade the heads,change the cam,change the torque converter,upgrade the tranny internals so it doesnt grenade,upgrade the fuel system,upgrade the intercooler and run drag radials...you also have to get the car properly tuned and upgrade the cooling system since this is marginal even in the stock configuration...

Your goals are achievable but at a significantly higher cost than you are planning to spend....even doing all the labour yourself

Your initial mod list of fmic/exhaust/pulley might give you 30 rwp gain if you are lucky...provided you dont go overboard on the pulley and remove all of the big exhaust choke points...if you spin the blower too fast you will lose power...ie if you were thinking about changing the sc pulley and gaining 30-40 rwp with this mod only,its not going to happen

Back