Need to reduce Underhood temps.

90_SC_T-BIRD

I got my t-bird running and am looking for ways to reduce the under-hood temperatures. It doesn't overheat, the oil and coolant levels are good. I just want to make it cooler i was thinking a fan for the IC but i think that wont be enough.

I want to get an intake but its just going to suck hot air if i don't get the temps down, or plumb toward somewhere else, any suggestions??

Im not looking to go all out with the front mount IC but IF there is really no other way to significantly reduce the heat, i guess that would be the way to go. but what do you think?

>I just want to make it cooler

'it' what?

The engine relies on a certain temp range for coolant. Staying with the stock thermostat is the easiest route to follow. CAI? Your stock intake doesn't suck on hot air and there seems some debate on the effectiveness of CAI setups. They do look nice, tho :)

If you have some reason to suspect that airflow thru the engine compartment isn't correct, take these steps:
- make sure the seals around the radiator are intact
- make sure the radiator core isn't clogged with dirt/debris
- confirm the chin spoiler underneath the nose (and deflector skirt over the swaybar), that works to create a negative pressure zone to help move air across the engine, is in place.

If you just want to improve air flow thru the IC (as opposed to just messing w/underhood temps), 'it' <a href="http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=1024&osCsid=b29fa26fcac8f3b8b5f8e8f5a443986b">costs around USD$30.00 for that</a>.

Last edited:
Could be like mine, engine produces so much heat that if not moving the A/C does not work and can feel the heat through the firewall.

Forget about the engine i said the levels where fine, i am not trying to lower the engines fluid temps, i said that in the post.

I just want to lower the amount of ~~~~~~n heat that forced induction cars make. In the case of the Bird, the heat gets really bad, really quick (again engine temps are fine). Im just saying I want it to run a bit cooler so i can throw a cold air intake kit not a "hot air intake" when Im sitting in traffic.

Its my first t-bird Im just saying, "what do people use, and how effective was it??"

header wrap on the IC tubes?
fans, pullers or pushers , and location?
hood scopes?
new IC ?
plumbing of intake tubes to the front somehow?
or whatever

Snow kit/water-methyl injection, for intake charge temp. If wanting engine compartment cooler only things I've come up with is new hood or side vents.

Forget about the engine i said the levels where fine, i am not trying to lower the engines fluid temps, i said that in the post.

I just want to lower the amount of ~~~~~~n heat that forced induction cars make. In the case of the Bird, the heat gets really bad, really quick (again engine temps are fine). Im just saying I want it to run a bit cooler so i can throw a cold air intake kit not a "hot air intake" when Im sitting in traffic.

Its my first t-bird Im just saying, "what do people use, and how effective was it??"

header wrap on the IC tubes?
fans, pullers or pushers , and location?
hood scopes?
new IC ?
plumbing of intake tubes to the front somehow?
or whatever

I'd start with a Magnum Powers Cold air intake kit, and a MP chin spoiler/air dam. Adding a fan to the intercooler will help cool the intake charge, switching to a double intercooler with fan will be even better. Installing a Snow Methanol injection system will really cool down the air going into the motor.

I would not do a hood scoop, because that may cause a high pressure area under the hood at highway speeds making it more difficult for air to flow through the radiator and intercooler. Do like Kurt suggested and remove the rear weather stripping to get more air out of the engine compartment.

David

You could try wrapping your exhaust manifold and down tubes in thermal tape. I think most autoparts stores are carrying the DEI brand now.

Back