Tires....again

Ira R.

Okay, well I blew out two tires today on the '94. Don't know how the heck that happened but we pulled a nail out of one and left a big chink of steel in another. So now I need two new tires. Since the other two have also had nails pulled from them over the last few months and all four of them have a bit of wear on them it's time to think about a new set.

So I am running Bridgestone RFT's 245/45-18's. Decent high speed road tire in dry weather but not much else. I don't know that I want to spend the extra money on RFT's either. I might need cheap this time around. Right now I'm thinking 285/40 on the rear and 255/45 on the fronts.

Any suggestions on what brand to get or maybe what size to change to?

Ira

Last edited:
Wow, you just made my day. I took one look at prices for 18" tires in the widths you named and felt much better about my life!

Stock size rims FTW!!! (Friend To Wallet)

Seriously, though ... I have heard good things about Nittos, and it looks like they are among the cheapest available in that size. I like Michelin myself, but if you are looking for drag performance, I don't think they have anything for you.

To get a set of matching tires from tirerack in 245/45R18 and 275/40R18, they only had 4 brands.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar $1296
Michelin Pilot Sport $1198
Yokohama ADVAN Sport $1066
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 $902

If you would consider 245/45R18 and 275/40R18 the list jumps to 23.
I'll end up paying about $850 for Nitto 555 NT's.

I've already purchased Nitto 555 NT's for the front and will be getting the same for the rear in these sizes. Please note that the fenderwheels are rubbing and I'm working on rolling them. I paid $400 for the fronts and the quote was about $450 for the rears. I believe the sizes you want were a little more. They will have the 285 in stock because they are a higher volume size.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on my GS400, it's an all-season and is a really good tire for that car. If you are wanting a all-season I would highly recommend them. They have about 30k on them and look like they haven't worn at all. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if they were on my SC. :)

To get a set of matching tires from tirerack in 245/45R18 and 275/40R18, they only had 4 brands.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar $1296
Michelin Pilot Sport $1198
Yokohama ADVAN Sport $1066
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 $902

If you would consider 245/45R18 and 275/40R18 the list jumps to 23.
I'll end up paying about $850 for Nitto 555 NT's.

I've already purchased Nitto 555 NT's for the front and will be getting the same for the rear in these sizes. Please note that the fenderwheels are rubbing and I'm working on rolling them. I paid $400 for the fronts and the quote was about $450 for the rears. I believe the sizes you want were a little more. They will have the 285 in stock because they are a higher volume size.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on my GS400, it's an all-season and is a really good tire for that car. If you are wanting a all-season I would highly recommend them. They have about 30k on them and look like they haven't worn at all. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if they were on my SC. :)

I have the Potenza's now and they're a pretty good tire. Don't know what I'm going to do yet but the car will be sitting in the driveway for the next week or so so i have a little time to think about it. I'm not too worried about traction - this car generally doesn't get driven that hard.

When I get back from vacation I'll have to order them and get the car back on the road. I was hoping to not have to spend a grand on them though. The timing of this just sux. But then doesn't it always I guess.

Ira

Back