Replacing the top radiator hose

275hptbirdsc

Hey today I went to go change the top radiator hose cause I think it has a leak. Anyway after driving to go get the hose I let it sit for an hour and when I take the clamps off and give it a tug or grab it coolant comes out! The hose isnt hard anymore so I know it should be safe to take off. Do I have to let it sit longer or remove that radiator vent cap? Thanks for the help:cool:

EDIT: Well I feel like an idiot I just went out and tried it again and got the part of the hose off that is closest the the engine...... Then I tried the part connected to the radiator and when I got that off it spewed coolant all over! Looks like I found a new way to flush the radiator! I put that part of the hose back on though. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The system is literally full of coolant. If you want to replace the hoses, the thermostat, or anything in the cooling system, you have to drain some of the coolant out first. You can open the petcock at the bottom of the radiator. However, do be careful, because if it is rusted in place, you shouldn't force it. (Mine popped right out recently and I ended up buying a radiator.) If that doesn't work, then release the lower radiator hose.

If your coolant isn't too bad, you can save and reuse it.

You should remove the vent cap when you refill the system. But then replace it before you start the engine. (As the cap indicates.)

Back