Flushing brakes on '94 SC, HELP!!

JJP90SC

I just tried to flush the brakes on my '94 SC, using the
same method I used on my '93 SC last year.
Me inside the car pumping/holding the brake pedal & my
son opening the bleeder valve causing the pedal to go
to the floor, pushing old fluid out the bleeder valve.
Repeat until brake fluid flows clear.

For some reason, this wouldn't work on the '94?!

I'm probably missing something obvious here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff Parker

To complete flush and bleed the brakes on a 94 or 95 you need the T90P-50-ALA Tool to cycle the ABS solenoid valves and run the pump to get the air out of the ABS Unit.

Then you can bleed the reat of the system in the correct sequence...RH rear, LH front, LH rear, RH front.

Duffy,

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, I can't just flush out the REST of the system,
without using this tool to do the ABS unit first?

Also, when doing the rest of the system, does the
ignition key have to be in the ON position?

And, where can one find this T90P-50-ALA tool?

Thanks!
Jeff

According to the Shop Manual you do the ABS Unit first...then you do the rest of the brakes in the conventional manner. No need to have the the key on for the late models for the brake lines. I bought my tool on eBay. There is a procedure you have to go through with the tool plugged into the wiring harness that goes into the ABS Control Unit. To get to it you have to jack up the LH front wheel...remove it and the inner fender liner to get to the wiring harness.

So, when using this ABS tool, is the fluid being cycled thru the master cylinder
reservoir? Or does the ABS control unit have it's own reservoir?

Shouldn't I still be able to flush the rest of the system?
I'm thinking my master cylinder may not be working correctly,
since we were getting VERY little fluid out of the bleeder valves!

Thanks!
Jeff

Quoting from the Shop Manual..................

"The brake master cylinder and anti-lock brake hydraulic control bracket must be bleed using Anti-Lock Test Adapter T90P-50-ALA or equivalent. If this procedure is not followed, air will be trapped in the anti-lock brake hydraulic bracket which will eventually lead to a spongy brake pedal."

When I put new brake lines on my car, was able to keep fluid in the master cylinder so air never made it into the ABS block. That allowed me to bleed without using the electronic tool.

If, with your work, air was able to get to the abs block, you'll need to use the tool to get the air out of the block, so you then can do standard bleeding procedures.

The 93 and 94 have the same brake system. Neither require the key to be on for normal bleeding. In fact, turning the key on while bleeding could lead to air being pulled into the ABS block. This is unlike the 89-92 cars which need the key on to bleed the rear brakes.

I haven't done any brake work, yet.

I was just wanting to flush out the OLD brake fluid.

Eventually, when funds allow, I'm going to replace all
rotors, pads, & hoses.

Thinking about going with the Mustang PBR caliper upgrade
at that time.

Looks like I need to find one of those ABS tools.

I searched Ebay & nothing.

Checked PartsVoice & they show a handful of Ford dealers with stock.

Thanks Duffy & Mike for your expertise!!

Jeff

When I bought my 95 it had suffered a broken brake line to the LH rear on the day I went to pick it up. It was temporarily fixed by the owner but I had to replace the line when I got it home. I bought the tool to bleed and flush my system. I used the tool but still have a spongy pedal so I guess I will be doing the job again.

Thexton (http://thexton.com/index.cfm/preset/home) made such a unit at one time. I have one in hand with the invoice from Thexton. The original purchaser paid $44.99 for it in august of 2005.

I don't see it in their catalog right now, but I suggest giving them a call as they may still be selling them, or may be willing to make one.

It was their item number 30133 Rev A TEVES IV ABS BRAKE BLEEDER

Thexton (http://thexton.com/index.cfm/preset/home) made such a unit at one time. I have one in hand with the invoice from Thexton. The original purchaser paid $44.99 for it in august of 2005.

I don't see it in their catalog right now, but I suggest giving them a call as they may still be selling them, or may be willing to make one.

It was their item number 30133 Rev A TEVES IV ABS BRAKE BLEEDER

Thanks Mike!
I will definitely give these guys a call.
$44.99 is WAY cheaper than the factory Ford units on Ebay.
Of course, with my luck, they won't have them available now!
Jeff

Back