PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations

johnwartjr
06-29-2009, 10:56 PM
My 95 SC needs new tires. It has about 150k.

Car is bone stock and is my daily driver. Don't do a lot of hot rodding, but from time to time, I do put the hammer down, admittedly. I also drive it rain or shine, 12 months of the year.

I'm not sure if I made a poor decision with the last tires I put on the car, but they lasted just shy of 4 years. That doesn't seem very long to me. Maybe it *is* and I just don't realize it, the SC is the first car I've kept that long.

In October of 2005, I had BFG Traction T/As installed, stock size of 225/60R16 and went with 97H load/speed rating.

I kinda expected the tires to last a little longer, but it may not be their fault. The fronts are worn heavily on both the inner and outer edges, and are cracking in the first 'valley' of the tread. The rears have some very light cracking in the 'valleys' of the treads, but it's really at the surface level, not as deep as the fronts.

I realize the wear pattern I mention is a sign of under inflation, I check my tire pressure at least every couple months and have never found them substantially low. I also don't drive the car a lot, as we typically take my wife's SUV when we do things as a family, it's just easier getting the kids in and out, etc.

I'm gonna have the dealer or a local shop take a look at the front end before I get tires to make sure nothing is worn out, and then get the car aligned if the front end is fine, or have the suspension fixed and then an alignment - I've had 2 control arms replaced and 1 ball joint replaced in the last few years.

Are the tires I chose just a bad choice? Admittedly, I did buy them partially on cost.

I was initially just going to replace the fronts, since the Sam's Club in town still can get the tire I put on the car, but after seeing the minor cracking in the rears, I'm thinking 4 tires might not be a bad idea.

I realize that there are other places I can buy tires - but I've been happy with buying tires at Walmart and Sams just for the fact that if I do travel and get a flat, their road hazard will work almost anywhere - because there's seemingly always a walmart or a sams around.

My budget is $100-125ish a tire. $150/tire is probably too rich for my blood.

What would you buy?

KMT
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
>In October of 2005, I had BFG Traction T/As installed, stock size of 225/60R16 and went with 97H load/speed rating. I kinda expected the tires to last a little longer, but it may not be their fault.

Know how to read the date codes? Might be illuminating to see if they were 'new' back when you had them mounted...

Quoting...

"The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

In the photo (http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_date_code_3b.jpg), the date code is 8PY806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06)."