Potential from NA 3.8 V6?

sniece

Hi there, I'm part way through a project car build, that uses the NA 3.8 V6from a 1990 Thunderbird LX. I had considered getting rid of it, in favour of a newer version of the same engine (late 90's Mustang, Windstar, etc.)

However, since I have the harness, computer, etc. from this one already, I'm now thinking of sticking with the engine I've got. As a part of my build, I'm going to have to do headers and intake anyway, then possibly an underdrive pulley, and computer mods.

SO, a couple of questions then come up. If I were to keep the existing harness, chances are that I would have some of the connections I need, but would have to get additional ones for a newer engine, plus either get the newer computer, or go with something like a Megasquirt standalone computer.

Any ideas on what kind of improvements I could see by mods to this engine? Would the newer split port heads, and intake be transplantable onto the original block? I may be getting into more dollars than it's worth, just to get to the numbers of the newer engine, but it's a thought.

At this point, I'd rather not go forced induction (although I know this is the SC forums), but it's not out of the realm of possibility later on as an upgrade once I get the car running.

Thanks,
Stephen

They'll just send him back here ;).

V6power.net

Either way I'd just ditch that 90 block and get you a 99+ one, for splitport and all the bottom end goodies, plus after 96 the HG issue was attended too. IMHO a pre 96 NA 3.8 is not worth the time/effort.

My only real reasons for using the engine I have is that...I have it in hand, and nobody really seems to want to buy it, plus I have the harness, computer, etc to get going with. All are a big bonus, but yeah, going with a 99+ model, I should get better reliability (aforementioned HG issue...although these ones were done by the previous owner very recently), plus, I'll start out with the power that I'm likely to hit by doing mods to the original engine...and only add to that by deleting the power steering, putting headers on, etc.

The engine is going into a project called a 'Locost'. (http://www.locostusa.com) Essentially a rough approximation of the Lotus 7 or Caterham. It should only weigh in at about 1700lbs, which with 225hp (99+ engine with some mods) would put me into a power/weight ratio on par with a current generation 911 Carrera, or M3...for much less than $10K fully built and street legal. Traditionally, they're built with 4 cylinder engines, but I happened to pick up this project where someone else had started it, based around a 1990 TBird LX donor.

Steve

BTW, thanks to everyone for the additional links...certainly gives me more places to collect information.

Steve

Back