Trying to install a performance chip

cyoder

Alright guys I need your help. First off my names is Chris, and I am brand new to this site and the thunderbird sc. I have a 1990 ford thunderbird sc and I am trying to install a performance chip that i bought off ebay. The directions tell me that i need to install it into the IAT sensor and I have absolutely no clue where it is at. It says that it can be combined into the maf sensor, but i have tried every wire in the maf sensor and the check engine light comes on with every combination. Can anyone tell me where the iat sensor is located or if I even have one? Also, I was wondering what would cause the car to jerk a little bit when i hammer the throttle. It doesnt do it all the time but if I am driving going about 50mph and then hammer the throttle it studders and jerks for a second then finally kicks it, but it still doesnt feel like its getting all the power that it should be. Thanks in advance.

1st: Any chip you bought off ebay probably won't help performance much.
2nd: Every chip that I know of plugs into the EEC, which resides in the passenger side kick panel.

Dont use the EBAY junk.

And If its an AUTO, your probably feeling the OD band slipping. then going into 3rd or passing gear.

-Tony

Could also be bad plugs...wires....dirty MAF...ETC....

ok i will return it and get my money back then.. and yea its an automatic. So what can I do about the overdrive slipping? I got the car from a guy that just couldnt afford the gas for it anymore. It only only has 84k miles on it and has been kept out of winter for 7 years and he drove it like a baby. When I got it he said it had a vacuum leak and I told him that shouldnt be to hard to find. But I have been told that the vacuum should be around 20 in when at idle or more. When I am in park it is right at 20 in. When im in drive sitting at a stop light it is at about 15..I changed the oil the second day i had it and i changed the fuel filter like a day later and the old one looked like it was the original one that it had came with because it was so rusted. It ran a lot better for a couple days then started doing the same thing. so it makes me wonder if the plugs are the originals and the wires. i also noticed the other day that there was a big puff of white smoke which makes me think head gasket correct?

Well, if the coolant reservoir is full, check for bubbles in it while the car is idling.
Check your oil for milky looking color.
Take and test the coolant with an exhaust gas test kit.

Any missing coolant?

What color and smell is your trans fluid.

I change plugs and wires first, then go from there, and it may not hurt to change the fuel filter again. Then check to see if your kickdown cable is still attached to the throttle body.

-Tony

alright ill do all that within this week. i already bought the head gaskets because that is the first thing that came to mind. i plan to get them done any way since my dad owns a machine shop so while im in there i might as well just it all done so i dont have to take it all back apart again. thanks for the help, ill let you know what happens.

Also, i forgot to mention that i was racing with another car the other day and when i got into fourth gear the upshift light came and and it wouldnt shift. so i backed off the throttle so i wouldnt hurt the transmission. Any reason why it wouldnt shift?

Also, i forgot to mention that i was racing with another car the other day and when i got into fourth gear the upshift light came and and it wouldnt shift. so i backed off the throttle so i wouldnt hurt the transmission. Any reason why it wouldnt shift?

Because it doesn't have a fifth gear to upshift to?

Back