Ford friction modifier

got mine at carquest. it's supposed to condition and protect the fiber lined syncros. i didn't read the directions and poured the whole 10oz bottle in. it's only supposed to be 1oz per quart of tranny fluid. trany whines like crazy but it's never shifted better and i've been assured by several tranny guys and even bill hull that it will be fine. i'm going on 4 years now.

Kragen, Checker, O'Reilys has Friction Modifier (Not the Ford Brand).

I used 5W/30 Synthetic Motor Oil in my 5speed with the F/M and shifting has never been better, 5 years now.:)

this for manual tranni's, correct?

Absolutly a manual Trans Only,
The Posi Diff stuff is the same.
Although I am curious what would happen to an Automatic if it got the "Treatment". I don't have the :eek:s to try it.

Last edited:
Syncromesh

When I was shopping a few months ago all brands besides GM DO NOT have friction modifier. GM on the other hand sells both with and without friction modifier.

Syncromesh

When I was shopping a few months ago all brands besides GM DO NOT have friction modifier. GM on the other hand sells both with and without friction modifier.

This is correct. I got Pennzoil synchromesh from autozone for about $7 a quart, then Equatorque friction modifier from Napa (4oz) for about $4. The only type that I'm aware of that has the friction modifier built-in is ONE of the GM types...I've seen the part numbers for both with and without somewhere on this site...just can't find it for you right now :eek:

I run syncromesh straight in all m5's and they work considerably better than using the crappy atf with or without modifier. Once you try it you will never go back. They get a little quieter too.
Alan

Kragen, Checker, O'Reilys has Friction Modifier (Not the Ford Brand).

I used 5W/30 Synthetic Motor Oil in my 5speed with the F/M and shifting has never been better, 5 years now.:)

Motor oil in a 5speed tranny... That just doesn't sound right to me.

Pennzoil Syncromesh

I got on Pennzoil's Website looking for four quarts of Syncromesh. Can't find anyone in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area who carries the product.

(I did find one Pep Boys that has one quart - when I said I needed four, he said "Sorry" and hung up.)

I called Pennzoil in Texas. A woman gave me the name of two local distributors. Called them and both said they don't carry the product. Called Pennzoil back and got a guy who said, "Sorry, there's nothing I can do for you" if local parts stores don't have it.

Has anyone tried the Amzoil syncromesh product?

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

I got on Pennzoil's Website looking for four quarts of Syncromesh. Can't find anyone in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area who carries the product.

(I did find one Pep Boys that has one quart - when I said I needed four, he said "Sorry" and hung up.)

I called Pennzoil in Texas. A woman gave me the name of two local distributors. Called them and both said they don't carry the product. Called Pennzoil back and got a guy who said, "Sorry, there's nothing I can do for you" if local parts stores don't have it.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Autozone carries the pennzoil syncromesh, I havent used amsoil products but have heard good feedback from there racing lubericants.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

The pennzoil is supposed to get phased out and Quaker state is supposed to be the new packaging. Try to find it in the QS packaging.

If you search in our forums you can also find the alternative friction modifier that I found.

Back