Head gaskets ???

oddi

Hello I have a question for you sc owners I reacently bought my self a sc whith a broken head gaskets and i´m half way repairing I´ve taken it apart and getting redy to puzzle it back together just waiting for the ARP studs that i orderd, but i´m wondering if the studs are going to stop this gasket problem thease cars seem to have, so are there any other kind of gaskets that can handle more pressure ????

P.S I´m thinking of getting a 10% overdrive pulley for the supercharger have that in mind for the gasket question

Last edited:
Most recommend a better flowing exhaust when going up to 10% overdrive or higher. If you search the forums for MLS (multi-layer steel) head gaskets, they are supposed to be more durable. The felpro's are a good deal cheaper and do just fine for even a moderately modified car from what I can tell though.

Hi, I have a pair of stock gaskets that came whith the car do you think it´s good to use them whith the studs?

Don't MLS gaskets require the block to decked as well for proper sealing?
I've used felpros in the past and never had any issues.....I think a top-end felpro kit is only around $130

Hi, just one problem with this whole thing i live in Iceland and it´s not so easy to get the gaskets over here and very expensive, so don´t you think it´s going to be just fine to use new ford gaskets with the studs? or are the studs not going to make any difference with stock gaskets?

You will be fine with stock style Felpro gaskets (Graphite)and head studs. Just make sure you have the heads resurfaced. The extra clamping force of the ARP studs significantly improves headgasket durability.

One more thing the gaskets are from Victor Reinz (graphite gaskets) Is that a god brand ???

Last edited:
Don't MLS gaskets require the block to decked as well for proper sealing?
I've used felpros in the past and never had any issues.....I think a top-end felpro kit is only around $130

Yes, MLS gaskets need a close-to-perfect surface to seal well (machined)

It seems to be the general opinion that the head studs alone are a good improvement. I'm personally using regular old Felpro head gaskets (the ones Brian mentioned) and ARP studs on my modified SC.

I can't comment on the Victor Reinz brand...

Consider how long the stock head gaskets lasted. Consider the benefits of using the better bolts/head studs. Then you can get a good feel for how long you can expect the replacement gaskets to last. Keep your cooling system maintained and keep from having significant detonation and I would expect stock type replacement gaskets to last at least as long as stock gaskets, if not longer.

yes, to the Victor Reinz headgaskets. Victor has been around a long time. since 1950 i believe. i think that is what NAPA supplies even.BUT. if you don't get the heads resurfaced nothing wil last long. i don't care if you use a straight edge and this and that, you're not going to see the thou here and there, around the coolant holes or anywhere else, and then expect the gaskets to fill in the rest. just one of those things with aluminum heads.

Back