How to make sure a M5R2 is a SC trans

snowman93

Hey ok im doing a auto to man trans swap and i found a 5 spd to swap in. I just wanna know if I can run the cast # on it to make sure its out of a SC. This is how to go about it right?

Jeremy

uhhh... is the shifter at the rear? if so, its an sc trans.... m5r2 rke.... the f150/bronco ones were top mounted. :)

Yup...that's the easy way to tell ;) The SC shifter is on the tailhousing and the other ones are on the top cover.

Pictures of each...

Attachments

• images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 96
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 105
There are other differences too, but the shifter is the main, most obvious one. The synchros are all brass is one example...

Another difference is the width of the syncros themselves. You can not use the SC shifter forks with the "truck" version.

The 94-95 had different gear ratios too that were never serviced individually like parts once were for the early model trannys. Basically if you have a late model tranny you have to use the parts you can from an early model and if you need gears you have to get them from another late model donor tranny,

Another difference is the width of the syncros themselves. You can not use the SC shifter forks with the "truck" version.

The 94-95 had different gear ratios too that were never serviced individually like parts once were for the early model trannys. Basically if you have a late model tranny you have to use the parts you can from an early model and if you need gears you have to get them from another late model donor tranny,

So I should hang onto any tranny I got.

Back