Any ideas what mods my SC has?

lanteau

I just bought my 1990 SC AOD in April. The woman I bought it from believed it had something done to the supercharger and I was told a Ford engineer owned it before her and did these modifications. She bought it in '92 so it obviously has the old style blower. But I've been reading that stock SCs make 12psi, my car will peg the boost gauge in every gear (15psi?). It looked stock to me until I took it to the track and ran a 14.77 at 92mph with a 2.07 60ft. I also ran a 14.95 at 98mph once. This clearly isn't stock. Stock exhaust though, stock intake, new Fram air filter. So lets try to figure this out?

Alright, I'll go snap a few shots. I just find it weird. I dunno if maybe it has a smaller SC pulley? But the pulley has FORD stamped into it.

Looks like a different SC pulley to me...stock doesn't have that noticable of a lip if I remember correctly.

-Tim

Last edited:
Looks pretty much stock to me, but the SC pulley looks smaller for sure.. Without exhaust and better air flow I would be worried about the head gaskets going out.

Jerry

how bout one of the whole engine bay ? i just wanna see your intake tract and inlet plenum.

you can pop that sc top off and see if its been ported.

I was thinking the SC pulley looked a little on the small side. The intake is stock. I plan on putting a magnaflow resonator in and cutting out the crimp point right after sometime this month. Eventually new downtubes with high flow cats, but for now I'm hoping just a new resonator and removing the crimp will help with back pressure. So just an overdrive pulley is making it run 14.7? Which I'm thinking it is completely capable of a 14.5 if it is cold and I can get the tires to hook up.

i can guarantee your computer is already pulling some timing with it pumping 15 psi.

put a fan on the intercooler or open up the exhaust some more. something to either drop the intake temps or the psi, or both.

The fact that it's running a 14.7 leads me to believe it is not pulling timing, and I've never heard a ping. But yes, before the summer is over I will have a new resonator with the crimp cut out, and a IC fan.

The fact that it's running a 14.7 leads me to believe it is not pulling timing, and I've never heard a ping. But yes, before the summer is over I will have a new resonator with the crimp cut out, and a IC fan.

read some posts and threads by FTURNER. he has done alot of datalogging....

For the most part, the first 1/4 of the 1/4 mile will set up your ET give or take. If your running at 15psi with a single IC you will be getting timing pulled because the intake air temp will be going over 120F in that first 1/4 of the 1/4. By 180F you'll have a full 4 degrees pulled. You need to be going at least 85mph to start getting enough air flow into the IC to stop the ACT climb.

Also, depending on what octane fuel your running, you probably are getting detonation (you can get detonation without hearing anything) to some degree as your ACT's climb (my car seem to always start detonating once the ACT's get around 145F or so) which will trigger the knock sensor which can pull up to 8 degrees of timing... and most of the time its severe enough to pull the 8 and stay there till you let up the go pedal. That means from the 26 your suppose to get at 5000rpm's your only getting 18 - how much the ACT's are pulling which I wouldn't be surprised would be at least 2-3 degrees.

Ever notice how the car seems to run out of steam all of a sudden going down the track?

Fraser

Back