No Start Problem

Dahoopd

I pulled the front brackets off to do the motor mounts. While I was at it, I had all of the pulleys and tensioners powder coated. I also changed the plug wires.

Now the car turns over with the first cranks but dies. I verified the grounds were back on right from doing the motor mounts. I cant figure it out, I didn't disconnect anything but the IC and front brackets.

Any ideas?

your kidding right? Its listed on the member page. I didn't think the year would make a difference but its a 93.

I didn't think the year would make a difference but its a 93.

The ground path for the DIS is different for different years. One is mounted on the engine - on the A/C bracket (early) and the other is mounted on the pass. side wheel well. In some cases, individuals with the early style have found a no-start condition after painting or coating that bracket since the ground path for the DIS is compromised.

See this page for a no-start troubleshooting process.

And don't forget to check the balancer.

Good luck w/your issue.

I pulled the brackets off and ground the contact surface down. I even pulled the grounds and made sure the contact was good.

The last time I drove the car was when the motor mount broke. The motor lifted up and separated the IC tubes and the car shut down. I drifted it into the drive way and it sat until I did the motor mounts.

Any other ideas? I am at a loss.

Does the car fire up and then die? If so I would check you IC tubes to make sure you don't have a leak. These cars don't like to run if those tubes are not totally sealed.

Does the car fire up and then die? If so I would check you IC tubes to make sure you don't have a leak. These cars don't like to run if those tubes are not totally sealed.

That's exactly how it was acting but I didnt think to see if maybe one of the couplers got ripped when the motor lifted. I just reconnected the tubes. Thanks again, sometimes it can be a simple thing over looked. I will pull the couplers tomorrow and post back.

Aight, I pulled the tubes and made sure there were no broken welds, I also made sure there were no rips in the couplers. I also replaced the grounds and the cam sensor. It still turns over but doesn't want to run. It only cranks once, not like it keeps turning over and over.

I don't know how else to explain it. Its almost as if you shot carb cleaner in a carb, its only going to run long enough to burn that hit of spray. If I hold the peddle down when I turn it over, it will rev higher for that one short burst. Than you have to try and start it again.

It will crank over and over with the cam sensor unplugged and the DIS unplugged but not when its all plugged in.

Last edited:
OK seriously do not think i'm stupid...

i noticed you changed the plug wires...

i did the same thing...
and i had this exact problem... don't get me wrong by suggesting this... i did the same thing myself...

i accidently mixed up wires #1 and 3... (passenger side wires)
try switching them around...

How you're discribing the 1 crank and then dead it sounds like a battery issue...is it a weak crank or a a normal powerful crank and then nothing?

I would assume you remembered to reconnect the alternator and battery cable was tightened back up...just trying to keep it simple not make ya feel dumb here.

Even with any of the front sensors unconnected the car should still crank strong, just not fire...if I'm reading your post correctly you're not cranking over which is more of a power issue.

5-speed car...on the clutch pedal hooked up good and tight? I know if thats off or lose it won't crank also.

-Tim

Verified the firing order 10 times because Im brain dead.

Tim,

The car is turning over once and that its. Almost like its not firing. I am borrowing a DIS and crank sensor tomorrow to check those out. The car will crank and crank without the cam sensor plugged or the DIS plugged but cranks and revs one time when everything is hooked up. If I hold the gas when cranking it it will fire once and rev but that's as far is it goes.

Oh! and you don't have to make me feel dumb, its all good. the car verifies Im dumb every time I touch it.

Verified the firing order 10 times because Im brain dead.

Tim,

The car is turning over once and that its. Almost like its not firing. I am borrowing a DIS and crank sensor tomorrow to check those out. The car will crank and crank without the cam sensor plugged or the DIS plugged but cranks and revs one time when everything is hooked up. If I hold the gas when cranking it it will fire once and rev but that's as far is it goes.

Oh! and you don't have to make me feel dumb, its all good. the car verifies Im dumb every time I touch it.

Okay so it cranks and cranks and cranks just doesn't fire/start. Okay. I was miss reading your sysmptoms.

I know if the DIS isn't properly grounded that similar deal will happen. Tried to test a different DIS on an SC that I was working on. Thought I could be slick and just plug the other one in that was still connected to a different bracket...yea it cranked for ever but didn't start.

You still have the engine to chasis ground on the passenger side? You would have probably removed that when doing the motor mounts...that might be the issue.

Just throwing out ideas.

-Tim

Check for 12v with key on at the wire going to the coil pack. Red wire with a green stripe, or some color stripe I believe. Check along the passenger side of the waterpump for the harness that runs along that way to the cam sensor, crank sensor, oil pressure, and over to the dis. It can easily be pinched by the accessory bracket.

There is a shield wire in that harness that runs down to the crank sensor that can easily be damaged if you are pulling on stuff. The wires also can pull out of the connectors easy as things age and you tug on them. Take a hard look at the wires going down to the crank sensor and the cam sensor.

How about the big connector to the coil pack...or try swapping the coil pack its self. Remember that the coil pack is also grounded through a bracket.

I am assuming its the sheild wire for the CS. The plug came off of it so I just crimped it back together. Maybe its not liking the connection I made., I am just going to replace the crank sensor and crimp it better.

I hope that's it, I cant see a crank sensor or DIS or even the coil pack going bad just by sitting or me removing the brackets. I want to drive the car so bad. I refuse to take it a part ever again.

IM at my wits end. I just dont have the knowledge or patience for this damn thing. I have changed the cam sensor, crank sensor and coil. I just have to get a DIS and try that. If thats not it I am done.

The only other thing I can think of is the battery. The battery is dead but I have a 200 amp jump box on it, it turns over once but that's it. Would that cause it to not fire up?

I have /had the same problem

Had the same problem, car sat for a while when I was doing mods on it, when I got it all back together would just crank over and not stay running, well its still sitting and sold the stuff I put on it due to financial reasons, but just need patience. I feel your pain though:(

I'd put a new battery in it, or take a battery out of another vehicle that has top post just to see if that could be the problem.

Hope you find out whats wrong it!

Tom

Last edited:
I'd put a new battery in it, or take a battery out of another vehicle that has top post just to see if that could be the problem.

Well I tried it, took the battery out of my truck. No Luck! All I have left is the DIS to try.

Back