PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower

SCmeGo
09-24-2002, 11:35 PM
I have a 1990 5 speed, I Have done the exhaust, (2". 50 no cats into 3" back to 2". 50) removed the silencer and put in a K&N flat filter. Could someone tell me what the horsepower was stock and approximately it is now?

I will be putting on a 10% pulley. How much will that add?

Thank You,
Scott

tslasher
09-25-2002, 12:09 AM
The performance you get from your mods is slightly different from an SC to another, depending of some factors.. The most effective way to know your horsepower and torque is for sure the Dyno test... (available in many performance shops)

SCmeGo
09-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Do you know what the horsepower was out of the factory?

GREATWHITE666
09-25-2002, 12:21 AM
Stock horsepower for 89-93 SC's was 210hp with 315lb of torque. the 94-95 SC's stock have 230 hp and 330lbs of torque-- Exhaust can usually add from 7 to 20 hp i believe, but like tslasher said, it just varies on the car. K&N filter i hear adds about 5 so i would think though that you are pushing maybe around 225+ but again like tslasher said, better to go to the performance shop to see...
good luck-
Damon

Katoom
09-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Stock:
8.2:1 Compression Ratio
210 bhp at 4000RPM
315 ft-lb Torque at 2600 RPM

Underdrive kit and chip boost HP to 255.

GREATWHITE666
09-25-2002, 12:23 AM
oh, and a 10% pulley is known to add about 3 PSI but its not recommended on SC's with high mileage as it greatly increases chances of those head gaskets going byebye-- it also reduces the life of your supercharger-
Damon

SCmeGo
09-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the information. My car just turned over 80,000 miles and was a one owner car, I donít burn any oil and the car seems extremely tight. Would you consider 80,000 miles too high to go with a 10% pulley?

Scott

Digitalchaos
09-25-2002, 01:07 AM
These cars have a tendency to lose their gaskets around 100,000 miles, although many have gone well above that. You would be safer with a 5% pulley, and with those mods, that would not be a significant reduction from 10%. Before doing a pulley at all however, the intake should be upgraded to a cone filter and larger hose, TB, ect. This will make a pulley more efficient, since its goal is to try and push more air into the engine. It also is a way to increase power without reducing gas mileage or life expectancy.

SCmeGo
09-25-2002, 01:21 AM
Could you explain about the larger hose, TB, etc I really donít know all that much about the significance of these mods but I am anxious to learn?

This was not the car I was looking to buy, but once I saw and drove it I had to have it. I'm hooked.

Scott

Scott-Atah
09-25-2002, 01:47 AM
although he should be explaining these...i'm in hopes he's answering my questions so i'll try to explain a lil

he meant that you should increase the air flow in your intake by getting a better intake system (cone type k&n filter and better tubing)
below is a picture of one intake system from www.supercoupeperformance.com
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/12.jpg

the above will let/get more air into your car more efficiently, and having a larger tube also lets more air pass thru/per second.

Next to keep this newly increased airflow flowing nicely....you have to increase the size of the throttle body. Basically i see this as a circle....the bigger the circle...the more air you can push thru in a given time. Thus getting a larger throttle body will allow more air into the car. (see below)

stock:60mm TB
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/9.jpg

80mm TB:
http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/10.jpg

having the above...and getting the increased amount of air into the car will make a 5% pulley more efficient and thus the pulley will make a larger difference.

Hope at least some of that makes sense......i tried

Digitalchaos
09-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Many people found a similar response after their first drive in this vehicle :) . As far as the intake is concerned, there are custom kits available which replace the current black air-filter box and air hose. The silver throttle body at the end of the air hose is smaller on some older model SCs, I believe its a 50 milimeter. Newer SCs and GT Mustangs have a larger one, again I think its 70mm. See <A HREF="http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintake.html">this article</A> for more information about our intakes. In all, a completley new intake system should yield a minimum of 1 psi over a mostly stock system. It will help even more with your higher flowing exhaust. As a guess, I would say a new intake with your exhaust may gain you another 10-20 hp, others can be more specific.

GooeyGus2
09-25-2002, 11:20 AM
make sure your exhaust flows well and go with a 10%! dont live in fear of the headgaskets they are going to blow no matter what you do. My friend put a 5% on and said he barely felt any difference in it. just get a cat-back exhaust with hi-flow or no cats then run a 10% you will be fine.

vettewars
09-25-2002, 01:17 PM
yes....don't mess with the pulley until you do the exhaust....the center muffler must be eliminated or replaced with the SCCOA one or equivalent and also no cats makes a big difference.

go to magnumpowers.com and get the 80hp add on deal, (summer special up till end Sept for about $1700) after that....that's the best follow-on after the exhaust.

The other requirements are injectors and fuel pump as explained on the site....then you net something like 320hp between the exhaust and the magnum powers intake stuff.