Scott-Atah

ok i'm workin with:

1 12" rockford punch he (3812) 8ohm 200wrms 400wpeak

1 concept cc504:
4 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 50W X 4
2 Ohm Stereo Power (RMS): 75W X 4
4 Ohm Bridged Power (RMS): 150W X 2

right now:

2 channels power a set of speakers....no idea anymore whether thats workin at 2 or 4 ohms

the other 2 channels are bridged n wired to the sub, which i have no idea what "ohmage" (i think i made that word up) would be workin at.

can someone explain to me whats workin at what amount of ohms.

Second thing and what i want to do:
i want a lil more bass and so i'm thinkin of getting a second sub (same one) and i'm told that i can wire them both to the same 2 channels as above.

How many ohms will they be working at? will that all work out?

Someone help this is driving me crazy!!!

Try <A HREF="http://www.the12volt.com"> The 12 Volt</A> for a good explanation on ohms, power, and other car audio info.

If all your speakers are wired seperatley, positive to negative, then theoretically... each of the set of speakers should be getting 50watts @ 4 ohms, using up 2 of the amplifier's 4 channels. Then, the Sub should be getting the combined output of the other 2 channels, which = 150w @ 4 ohms. This is called tri-mode operation. Some amps will do different things under this setup, but this is the norm.

As far as the other sub is concerned: wiring it up with the first sub, on channels 3 &4 of the amp, would give each sub half of the available power. So if you wire the subs in series, each sub gets 75watts @ 4 ohms. If you drain the amp and wire the subs in parallel to channels 3 & 4, each sub should get 150watts @ 2 ohms. However, the amp may not be capable of handling the current draw for both subs wired in parallel and a set of speakers. In addition, wiring the subs in series to 3 & 4 will cut the power in half to each sub, and you won't get much more bass, if any. So, either get another amp and use this one only for subs, or wire the subs in parallel and see if the amp gets hot.

I hope that wasn't too drawn out. See my link for more help..

alright...i'm checking out that page you said....but also...since my sub is rated at 8ohms.....having it bridged (2 channels) of the amp....does that mean that it's getting 150w rms? or is it makin the amp work at 8ohm meaning that it's actually only get 75w rms?

also...if i would wire the subs in series (if i get a second) and then will the amp be workin at 4 ohms (75w to ea sub)

and yes.....another amp is in the plans.....i was gonna do another amp....then get another sub....but this idea was brought to my attention and would give me more bass and is cheaper for now....

hmm

I had forgotten to take into account the fact that your sub is 8 ohms! I believe you are correct, the 8ohm load should drop the current flow from the amp to half. In that case, another sub should play well without straining the amp when wired in parallel. I am currently finding some pages for more info about this, just to be accurate.

i'm thinkin right now...as you said i'd be wired at 8ohms meanin i'm only getting 75wrms to my sub.....but if i picked up a second sub i could wire them in parallel which would work out to be wired at 4 ohms which would mean that then each sub would be getting 75wrms.......correct?

that'd all work out ok wouldn tit?

Exactly. Because the sub is 8ohms anyway, its currently only getting 75watts, @ 8 ohms. So two in parallel should get a total of 150 @ 4 ohms, or 75 watts a sub. I am still looking for some info about this, but it should be correct. Just watch the temp of the amp, as thats still a pretty good load. I don't really know that amp brand, if its good it will probably be fine. If it gets hot, you can always get a small computer fan, bolt the amp and the fan to a board, and blow air at it for cooling..

alright i think i've finally got this all figured out

granted i screwed up above and the amp is puttin out 75x4 @ 2ohms, only 50x4 @ 4ohms.

So...yeah get another sub seems to be the deal.

And as far as i know concept makes fairly good amps, it runs fine so far....and i know a few people use them and they run ok....but all in all...........thanks a million for all your help man.

Granted you helped me find out my stereo sucks and that i'm shafting myself kinda.....least i can fix it now.

Ok I found the confirmation @ <A HREF="http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/2svc.html">www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/2svc.html</A>

As far as your systems SQ, as long as your sub sounds nice and loud now without distortion, 2 at fewer ohms should each play equally loud without distortion... and you should get more bass. If the amp can handle it, thats actually a pretty creative system..powering 2 subs and 2 stereo speakers :)

Glad I could help..

Back