PDA

View Full Version : UHMW Spring Perches

DLF
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
A pair of lightweight UHMW spring perches for use in Mark VIII LCA's.

These are the short version, not for use with AirLift air bags.

$150 Shipped (lower 48)

DLF
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Some people have suggested that the price is too high, so I'm going to respond.

Material for each pair runs about $25.

Shipping via USPS is $10.35.

It takes about 10 hours to hand make a pair on my bench lathe, which works out to about $11.50/hr., not exactly what I'm used to getting for my time. :eek:

I started making these because I wasn't happy with the aluminum perches, and because no one else did. I also had to invest in a couple of hundred dollars worth of special tooling and adapters to make these.

I'm sure that a big shop with a CNC lathe could make these cheaper (if you wanted to make a 100 or so), but I defy anyone else to make them by hand cheaper than I am.

I'm doing this to fill a void and to try and help out, not to get rich, so please stop the negative comments.

If you don't want to buy them because you think they're overpriced, then don't.

Flex
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Doug,

What is UHMW? Are these mean to be used with aluminum LCA's?

DLF
07-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Doug,

What is UHMW? Are these mean to be used with aluminum LCA's?

It's a light weight, dense plastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_molecular_weight_polyethylene

Yes, these are for use in the Mark VIII Aluminum LCA's.

paintme205
07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Im interested but need a pair that will work with air bags. Any chance of that happening?

DLF
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Im interested but need a pair that will work with air bags. Any chance of that happening?

PM sent...

Tall sets are $175 shipped (lower 48)

rbrown
07-15-2009, 04:59 PM
How do these hold up long term?

DLF
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM
No one's had them in "long term" yet, but if you check the material properties, I can't imagine them deteriorating before the car does :)

DLF
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
FYI - The UHMW Perches are designed to be used with Prothane 6-1709 coil spring isolators. I imagine that they'll also work with stock Ford isolators, but I haven't tested that.

DLF
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's a pic of the taller perches (same height as the stock MN-12 LCA perch) that will allow AirLift air bags to function as they would with the stock LCA's.

Also a pic of the perch with a poly spring isolator installed.

ricardoa1
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Ill be getting a set someday. :o

I need the taller ones badly.

DLF
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Ill be getting a set someday. :o

I need the taller ones badly.

Don't wait too long, I won't be making these forever, it's really a pain in the a**. :(

DLF
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I have one pair of tall perches and 2 pairs of short perches ready to go.

Now I'm going to make some Delrin Bushing kits and work on my own cars, so this is it for a while.

Get 'em while they're hot :D

DLF
07-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Bump to the top...

Don Teeple
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I like this for the weight savings, and the material seems better suited.

So given the mk8 AL LCA with springs (vogtland for me), what is the real change in ride height comparing the aluminum vs UHMW?
Assuming the same thickness isolator is used in that comparison.

Anybody have pictures of a car with this combination? (especially pics with vogtlands!)

It sounds as though the Ford isolator is thinner than the aftermarket poly unit, I guess that could offer some height adjustment if the poly is too tall affecting ride height.

One additional question, the aluminum part was angled, to compensate for the pocket that it sits in. Your measurements in the in-board and out-board with the aluminum Mk8 LCA show this 1" change in height.

Given you have seen both installed, (I have not) how do they compare? Are you comfortable with the flat UHMW design? With the additional angle in the seat, does the spring sit well with everything bolted-in and compressed? It seems like it would be ok once the spring is compressed and suspension re-attached.

Thanks for any info...

DLF
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I like this for the weight savings, and the material seems better suited.

So given the mk8 AL LCA with springs (vogtland for me), what is the real change in ride height comparing the aluminum vs UHMW?
Assuming the same thickness isolator is used in that comparison.

Anybody have pictures of a car with this combination? (especially pics with vogtlands!)

It sounds as though the Ford isolator is thinner than the aftermarket poly unit, I guess that could offer some height adjustment if the poly is too tall affecting ride height.

One additional question, the aluminum part was angled, to compensate for the pocket that it sits in. Your measurements in the in-board and out-board with the aluminum Mk8 LCA show this 1" change in height.

Given you have seen both installed, (I have not) how do they compare? Are you comfortable with the flat UHMW design? With the additional angle in the seat, does the spring sit well with everything bolted-in and compressed? It seems like it would be ok once the spring is compressed and suspension re-attached.

Thanks for any info...

I have H&R's. The Mark VIII's air bags aren't angled, so I never quite got the reason for the perches to be angled. My measurements actually showed the tilt in the stock MN-12 LCA's (at normal ride height). I believe that the MN-12 LCA's are the ones that are actually tilted because the stock isolator doesn't completely compensate for the lower spring pigtail.

About 3/8" lower with my perches vs. the aluminum one's that I had, and my AirLift air bags will function the way they used to with the stock LCA's (I can raise the rear of the car with air for the strip if I want to). The MN-12 perch is ~ 2.1" high (as is my taller perch) and the aluminum perch was only 1.6". I only use the poly isolators.

Don Teeple
08-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Doug, Thanks!

I assume your very happy with the look in the rear now, sounds like the aluminum might be 0.5+ too low.

I guess too low is if it looks obvious comparing front to rear or down the side profile.

I didn't realize the airbags could also change ride-height to an extent, for the normal range you would inflate, I'm just curious how much adjustment that would allow you (if you ever test that out). I.E. 0.5 inch - UP from little or no inflation?

Thanks bud! Looks like I'm adding delrin, and these to the buget for this summer!

DLF
08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Doug, Thanks!

I assume your very happy with the look in the rear now, sounds like the aluminum might be 0.5+ too low.

I guess too low is if it looks obvious comparing front to rear or down the side profile.

I didn't realize the airbags could also change ride-height to an extent, for the normal range you would inflate, I'm just curious how much adjustment that would allow you (if you ever test that out). I.E. 0.5 inch - UP from little or no inflation?

Thanks bud! Looks like I'm adding delrin, and these to the buget for this summer!

Yes, I'm a happy camper now :)

I can raise the rear about 1/2" or so by going from 5 psi to 20 psi. I normally run 5 psi on the street and 15 psi at the track.

DLF
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
For those who may be interested, here are some installed pics of the taller perches and AirLift air bags at normal ride height with H&R springs.

DLF
08-29-2009, 05:33 PM
The tall pair is sold!

The two shorter pairs are still available.

DLF
08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
FYI, I will make a tall pair if someone wants them.

DLF
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I've made another pair of tall perches.

DLF
09-12-2009, 01:56 AM
1 short pair left...

DLF
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
1 pair of each style available.