update: Unplugged the cam-sensor...

toronto_1990sc

couldnt even get the car out of the driveway today...chug chug..tach/no tach...stall....so I reached in and unplugged the cam-sensor...after a half dozen tries i started her up and did a lap around the block: A-OK.

so...even though the problem was intermittent (though apparently getting worse) does this mean the cam sensor is bad? what are the chances that the whole assembly is bad (ie: the long thing that goes down into the engine)..or is it more likely just the sensor itself? (ie: the screw on cap thingy that the plug goes into).

AND...i suppose i might try and do it myself (i've never done much work on cars before..not even sure how to remove the belts!) but if i were to the bring the new cam sensor to my mechanic, how long should he charge labor-wise to install it?

thanks!

It sounds like the cam sensor is bad. It should take no more than an hour to swap the sensor itself. Could it be the stalk? Well, maybe. But I haven't heard of those going bad too often.

>if i were to the bring the new cam sensor to my mechanic

Give the guy a break and let him earn his wages....let him supply the sensor and put it in...not that big of deal :)

Back