PDA

View Full Version : Need 5 speed parts.

MartianBob
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I shredded 5th gear today on my late model 94/95 manual. It won't go into 5th with car on or off, other gears are ok.

You probably know more about this than me as I have not rebuilt a transmission (but I am now).
I'm assuming I need a 5th gear and synchro. I have blockers on hand. Is the counter shaft likely toast too? What else do I need that I can't get from a rebuild kit?

please shoot me a pm or reply here.

Thanks
Bob

XR7 Dave
07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I have plenty of parts. Let me know when you get it apart.

MartianBob
07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I know it sounds greedy, but I'd really like to take it apart and put it back together in weekend, or close to it. It's my only car.

It's more cost effective for me to buy parts I don't need than miss work or rent a car. How sick is it that is is my only car?

Anyway, the tranny was fine before today. Can you price out 5th gear, the syncro, and the countershaft? And or make suggestions if there are other parts that eat toast when you shift without the clutch?

Cheers
Bob

baer198
07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Good luck bro, I'm in almost the same situation with my sc, but its 2nd for me. i myself have never rebuilt a transmission, and from what i read here it is not real hard but you will need a few special tools to do it. But then again a few on hear said a noob trans wrench should not try it with out an experienced trans guy giving you a hand. Let me know how it turns out, it might give me more courage to try it myself.

XR7 Dave
07-16-2009, 12:32 AM
How hard did you yank the lever? How does it feel going into reverse? When you say it won't go into 5th, do you mean it just grinds or that it physically won't go into the 5th position?

I've seen a bent 5th gear lever more than once that prevented 5th gear from happening. Anyway, I guess if you want a complete assembly I can provide that too and then you can figure out what you do or don't need.

I'll let you have everything back of the main cluster for $100 if you want.

MartianBob
07-16-2009, 08:12 AM
It was a very aggressive emergency shift as I was about to get side swiped on the highway mid shift and did not have the clutch down far enough.

It doesn't grind or anything when attempting to put into fifth now, it's like the sifter hits a wall. Fourth takes a bit of care to get into now after attempting 5th, but is fine when coming from 3rd. reverse is a bit more tricky but doable, all other gears appear unaffected.

Can the "5th gear lever" be repaired by removing the top cover from the tranny or does the tail shaft and all the guts have to come out for that fix?

Regardless, I'm interested in the parts shipped to 78652.

Thanks
Bob

XR7 Dave
07-16-2009, 08:43 AM
You just have to pull the top cover to replace the shift lever. Shipping will be about $20 so just add that.

Duffy Floyd
07-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The 94-95 trannies were never serviced as individual piece parts by Ford. While many parts from the early models are usable in a 94-95 tranny, gear sets are not in most cases (except for select gears) so you are reduced to getting good used parts.

MartianBob
07-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Dave,

When you say shift lever, are you referring to the shifter mechanism that bolts on top of the tranny or a lever inside the tranny?

Thanks

Duffy Floyd
07-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I believe he is referring to the top plate and the shifter fork not the shifter assembly itself at the rear of the transmission.

XR7 Dave
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
It's a lever inside the transmission but accessible from the top.

MartianBob
07-16-2009, 01:49 PM
That makes sense. Thank you guys both for the advice.
I'll be sending you a check for the parts, but I need to email you about getting my tune adjusted too while the car is down.

Cheers
Bob