Automatic climate control - fan blower works and doesn't work

91cougar

Anybody have problems with the Automatic Climate Control?
I have the 91 version. The electronic piece that replaces the coil near the blower fan has some interesting problems. I have done some soldering to replace the rusted circuit board and worked for several years.
Now, the fan blows when it wants to. It seems if I drive all the way home sweating like a pig, I put the windows down and let the car sit for 2 hours the fan will work again. But in the morning, nothing. In the afternoon, nothing. Soon as I get home and roll the windows down for 2 hours it works again.....

ARRGH!@

Isn't there a way I can bypass the ACE?
I cannot find the part anywhere F1SH 193624 AC

I have one in my hand.....

Part # F1SH 19E624 AC

I'll need a zip code so I can quote you a price that includes shipping.....

F7SZ-19E624-BB used to be the part no. for this fix. I ordered one from my local Ford dealer back in January 2007. This was a kit that contained an improved blower control module and a matching pigtail harness connector, to be spliced into the existing harness. Since this part no. is more than 10 years old ['97 part no.] it is probably obsolete. The blower control module is still available on ebay from Tasca OEM Parts [$57] but you'll have to fabricate your own pigtail. Or get one from from a 98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer at the junk yard. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting the appropriate wire sizes and spade lugs to fit the controller. Plug the lugs with wires attached, into the controller. Make sure you mark the wires so you can make the splice into the existing harness w/o making a mistake. Then fill the recess of the blower plug connection with a good silicone sealant. Controller part no. is XL2Z-19E624-AA. This is the same part no. that came with the F7SZ-19E624-BB kit.

Last edited:
F7SZ-19E624-BB used to be the part no. for this fix. I ordered one from my local Ford dealer back in January 2007. This was a kit that contained an improved blower control module and a matching pigtail harness connector, to be spliced into the existing harness. Since this part no. is more than 10 years old ['97 part no.] it is probably obsolete. The blower control module is still available on ebay from Tasca OEM Parts [$57] but you'll have to fabricate your own pigtail. Or get one from from a 98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer at the junk yard. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting the appropriate wire sizes and spade lugs to fit the controller. Plug the lugs with wires attached, into the controller. Make sure you mark the wires so you can make the splice into the existing harness w/o making a mistake. Then fill the recess of the blower plug connection with a good silicone sealant. Controller part no. is XL2Z-19E624-AA. This is the same part no. that came with the F7SZ-19E624-BB kit.

Thanks Jim,
So yours is still working?

Part was sent out Saturday the 18th via 1st class mail.....

You should get it by Tuesday.....

Let me know when you receive it.....

Thanks Big-e, got the part yesterday.

Before I installed the new one I wanted to see if today was fan working day or fan not working day.
So I started the car and the fan is working. Working on auto, low, medium, and high. So I run the A/C for a bit then shut the car off and go inside.
Short time later I come out, turn ignition, no fan.
Good, now I'll put in the new controller.
Guess what? No Fan.
So I guess I need to find the schematics for this whole system and figure out what is flaking out since the controller doesn't seem to be the culprit.

I'm suprised nobody else has experienced this problem.

Take a look at the ignition switch too when the blower isn't working. Try to get a hand on it and squeeze it back together ---been a lot of flaky problems chased all the way back to a bad ignition switch..............Dan

"Try to get a hand on it and squeeze it back together "

What am I squeezing back together? You mean press one hand against the ignition switch and the other against the steering column and press in?

My ignition switch does seem to be flakey, the key will sometimes be cock-eyed in the slot and not come out, or the 'key in ignition' dinger will ding when there is no key in.

I seem to remember a recall on the switch but I can't remember if I ever had it done.

I wonder if that is what caused my ABS woes too...... hmm..

Take a look at the ignition switch too when the blower isn't working. Try to get a hand on it and squeeze it back together ---been a lot of flaky problems chased all the way back to a bad ignition switch..............Dan

This is good advise. The ignition switch can cause a number of electrical issues since it powers everything, depending on which of the contacts have fallen apart. The problem you describe with the key getting stuck and the dinger going off with no key is a mechanical problem in the ignition lock cylinder itself. Not the ignition switch....

So, I ordered the 1991 T-bird/Cougar Electrical and Vacuum troubleshooting manual today. Should be here next week sometime. Hopefully it will help me diagnose several little issues I have.

Anyway, Went out and cranked up the cougar today to see if it was a 'fan working' day or not. It is a fan working day.
So, I unplug the old controller that is still attached to the blower assembly. Fan stops as expected. Then I plug the connector into the new controller I got from big-e. Fan starts running again as expected. Sitting there enjoying the cool A/C I start to smell hot electronics. Yes, that transistor that sits on the controller gets rather hot. Smoking arse hot to be exact.
Does this sound normal?
Makes me wonder, why can't the fan speed control just be simple like a ceiling fan switch?
Even a car without auto climate control has a resistor pack attached to the fan motor. This just seems crazy to me.

Check this as well.

I had 2 SC's where the fan would work when it wanted to also. I could smack the glove compartment on one and it would sometimes start working. The other one I had to wiggle the wires going to the fan itself and it would come back on.

I too swapped out blower controllers and it did not help.

Apparently the wire connector that goes to the blower motor from the Controller likes to becomes loose over time and all I had to do was get a small screwdriver and pry the connectors so they made a better connection on the blower motor, so that going over a bump or rough patch of road wouldn't cause the blower motoer to shut off on it's own.

It may be worth a look at that connector.

Smitty

I tried 4 other modules when I was testing yours.....

They all got "hot" when they were sitting outside of the fan box....

One of them stayed hot even after the ignition was switched off.....:eek:

That one got tossed into the lake.....:p

I can only assume that they are suppose to get "hot", for some reason.....:confused:

Does your original module get "hot"....

I haven't tried my original one out of the blower assembly.
I'm guessing it does get hot and that's why it has a fried appearance.
I should upload the pics when I get them off my phone.
I assumed the thing suffered from moisture buildup on electronics (warm outside air being mixed with cool A/C).

Back