new clutch

slowpoke

when replacing the clutch, do i need to get the fly wheel re-surfaced or not, and would i want to get a new t/o bearing?

Absolutely on both, at least the flywheel. Do the bearing too while it's in the open. I've had experience with flywheels that haven't been turned. The clutch material wont seat properly and you'll end up with a smoked clutch.

re-surface,re-surface,re-surface!!!!;) It doesn't cost much and well worth it. Plus it give you peace of mind!!:D

also while i have the tranny down might as well change the fluid. whats is the best proven fluids for the m5r2

As I have posted multiple times in the past (hint hint:rolleyes:) I use Redline D4 with no friction modifier. David Dalke indicated when he rebuilt that tranny (not fluid related issue) it was very clean inside.

Some say it's a wise idea to replace the slave cylinder as well.

I agree. A nightmare would be putting it all together and a month or two later having to take it apart to replace the slave cylinder, if it happened to fail.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

should have the new clutch in Monday or Tuesday. ill have it in by the end of the week and will update pass or fail.

got the m5r2 down and drained the fluid. keeping in mind it ran fine and shifted as good as could be expected. when i drained the fluid there was a bit of metal shavings and a partial what appeared to be a 2inch retainer ring of some sorts. does this sound bad or is it normal of these tranny's.

gwhen i drained the fluid there was a bit of metal shavings and a partial what appeared to be a 2inch retainer ring of some sorts. does this sound bad or is it normal of these tranny's.
The retainer ring, if its a thin piece of flexible metal, is probably whats left over from the now non-existant shifter bushings :D I got one of those shifter rebuild kits off ebay and modified it to fix mine. Had to redrill the top side holes to get them to line up as it was for an F150.

it is a very very thin like almost paper thin piece, but not very flexible. its a bit stiff. and like i said its still shifting just fine. due to im putting in a new clutch i decided to run 120+ a few times this week just to play and had no problems at all.

took the tranny down and yep the shifter is shot big time. more money to spend, the fly wheel looks like i might have to replace it to wooot lol

got everything back together and got about 1k miles on it for clutch break in, everything seems to be fine except the constant gear lube smell from changing the tranny fluid. i love the way the centerforce shifts and compared to the stiff ars pedal that the spec had this is pure heaven. got some other issues that came up though, when under a load from a stop there is a fast flash that i can now see due to my twin mini cowls, it only happens when st a stop and i lay into it. all other gears and rpm band there is nothing. and the rear end seems to no longer be posy. can a fluid change fix that or does it soung like im going to spend some more money?

Back