replacing cam sensor, need belt removal help...

toronto_1990sc

got the new cam sensor...looks like i need to remove the SC belt (and the other one?) to access the cam sensor.

i've never removed a belt before. is this something i can do on my own?

here's what I know (i think):

the auto belt tensioner has two main parts...the spring/pivot and the pulley wheel at the end of the arm which is touching the belt...

now i would think that i would put a wrench or socket on the spring/pivot and turn the it so as to raise the pulley wheel away from the belt...but the shop book says to turn the bolt on the pulley itself (18mm?)...i dont understand how that works...is that right? that seems counter-intuitive. is the pulley a free spinning wheel or is there some sort of mechanism in there? confused!

can someone explain this in detail how to remove a belt..you know, like i'm totally stupid. i'd like to try this tomorrow.

thanks!

You do not need to remove the belts to replace the cam sensor. Real easy to change without taking anything off. Just remove the plug and the two 5.5mm bolts lift off and take it right out the front between the belts it is a real easy thing to do.

You do not need to remove the belts to replace the cam sensor. Real easy to change without taking anything off. Just remove the plug and the two 5.5mm bolts lift off and take it right out the front between the belts it is a real easy thing to do.

ok..i'll try...i read that some people remove belts. cool, i'll give it a shot tomorrow. thanks!

got the new cam sensor...looks like i need to remove the SC belt (and the other one?) to access the cam sensor.

i've never removed a belt before. is this something i can do on my own?

here's what I know (i think):

the auto belt tensioner has two main parts...the spring/pivot and the pulley wheel at the end of the arm which is touching the belt...

now i would think that i would put a wrench or socket on the spring/pivot and turn the it so as to raise the pulley wheel away from the belt...but the shop book says to turn the bolt on the pulley itself (18mm?)...i dont understand how that works...is that right? that seems counter-intuitive. is the pulley a free spinning wheel or is there some sort of mechanism in there? confused!

can someone explain this in detail how to remove a belt..you know, like i'm totally stupid. i'd like to try this tomorrow.

thanks!

Putting an 18mm wrench on the pulley retaining bolt and moving it in the clockwise direction (same as tightening the bolt), will rotate the tensioner arm and allow enough slack to remove the belt, while holding the tensioner in the released position. All 3 belts are removed in the same manner.

David

Forgot to mention Ford says to put the engine at 26.5* ATDC.

But IMHO it not needed for pulling the top of the sensor.

Forgot to mention Ford says to put the engine at 26.5* ATDC.

But IMHO it not needed for pulling the top of the sensor.

You are correct - that's only if you replace the entire "stalk" or "synchronizer" assembly. Got the tensioner's figured out yet?

You are correct - that's only if you replace the entire "stalk" or "synchronizer" assembly. Got the tensioner's figured out yet?

not yet..gonna try this afternoon. so some say i dont need to remove the belts, some do.....hmm. i think it would be easier to access with out them....any advice on removing belts?

not yet..gonna try this afternoon. so some say i dont need to remove the belts, some do.....hmm. i think it would be easier to access with out them....any advice on removing belts?
See david neibert's reply.
18mm socket and 2' long breaker bar. :rolleyes: Twist clockwise, remove the belt; slowly release the tensioner. You'll need a 5.5 mm socket for the sensor retaining bolts. Either that or 7/32" is close enough.

Yeah, David said it well. Since it's spring-loaded, you don't have to take anything apart, simply rotate the arm that the pulley is on to remove tension from the belt - it really is easy.

Anyone know where you can get a replacement 5.5mm bolt? i changed mine a few weeks ago, and i only had to remove one!

I'll have to take a look in the bed of my truck.....

I am parting out a blown SC engine and I think the bolt that you need is still there.....

PM me your address and I'll mail it to you......:D

yeah i agree, I just swapped mine..I dropped a bolt but got it back with a long magnet...but it did seem that one bolt would hold it down ok if necessary.

Back