PDA

View Full Version : Another new best

fturner
07-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Just spent a great day at the track, and set a new time etc.

Ran a best of 13.838 @ 102.56 with a 60' of 2.116.

The car averaged 102.5 trap speeds and 13.9's. Had a couple of runs in the 13.8's beside the above best time.

This was on street tires. Tried lowering the pressure from 40 to 32 but there wasn't much of a difference.

Finally got into the 13's without actually having to get out and push the car :eek:.

I've included a couple of shots of what several folks have seen and can't believe ;) the times..... heck the motor is pretty much stock :rolleyes:, it does have a throttle body and a chip :o.

Fraser

QuickMustang
07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
So what have you changed since the last time you were at the track? Congrats on the new times. Now I'm going to have to get back to the track to get back ahead of you! lol...

fturner
07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Just a chip and a TB... its all stock otherwise :o

Fraser

QuickMustang
07-18-2009, 08:54 PM
May '09 - KW DIC.
Jul '09 - Ported Heads with larger valves.
Jul '09 - GM Coated Rotors.
Jul '09 - Bottom end refresh new bearings.
Jul '09 - Shorty AC Condensor.

Then what is all this stuff on your member page?

fturner
07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Oh that???? wishful thinking??? :D:):p:D

Fraser

90MN12
07-18-2009, 09:00 PM
looks like a couple of mild mods to me. lol

RedSC93
07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Pulleys dont look stock :p

Ira R.
07-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Making great progress there. And that engine bay is just embarrassing!! :eek:
You're not parking next to me the Shoot Out!! ;)

Good stuff.

Ira

the-big-e
07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I'll bet that double IC is helping out the most.....

I need to get mine installed, but have other projects to complete first.....:rolleyes:

fturner
07-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Just wanted to add, with the 10% OD on the car its making 13.2psi peak boost.

Fraser

bigpoppa822
07-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Just wanted to add, with the 10% OD on the car its making 13.2psi peak boost.

Fraser

Wait...what? Don't you have a ported late model on there? And pretty much the same cam as me? Why am I making 5 more psi than you?

fturner
07-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Yup, ported late model blower with coated rotors :)..... and still running the stock inlet plenum to boot.

Also remember I'm running ported heads with larger valves now, and the porting is a top secret process that Dave worked out ;). These heads flow phenomonal numbers in the lower lift ranges and are ideally suited to the cam I'm running, in my non-expert opinion anyway. I'm sure the car can do with more cam and maybe next year, but I'm enjoying what I have now.

There's alot more air making it into the cylinders now which is the reason the boost has dropped. I need to get it back up to 14.5psi though so maybe another 5% OD since I have my ACT's under control.

Fraser

QuickMustang
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Wait...what? Don't you have a ported late model on there? And pretty much the same cam as me? Why am I making 5 more psi than you?

Your at 18 psi with only 10% OD on a ported late model? Wow...I'm at 13-14 (stock guage) with 10% OD on my Magnuson late model blower. And my times are close to Fraser's. What kind of 1/4 mile times are you running? What size is your cam? I have stock heads (although mildly cleaned up by me) with stock valves and a 220/220 @ .050 cam.

Fraser, out of curiousity, do you know what your RWHP numbers are?

fturner
07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Not at this time. Last time I was on the dyno before all the work it was low at 240rwhp but there may have been an issue with the dyno.

Estimates I think would have me right around the 300 mark now, but the guys with more experience etc would know better than me. I ran the numbers through a hp calculator based on vehicle weight and et's and trap speeds and it reports 285rwhp based on et and 311rwhp based on trap speed. I don't trust those too much though.

Fraser

bigpoppa822
07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Your at 18 psi with only 10% OD on a ported late model? Wow...I'm at 13-14 (stock guage) with 10% OD on my Magnuson late model blower. And my times are close to Fraser's. What kind of 1/4 mile times are you running? What size is your cam? I have stock heads (although mildly cleaned up by me) with stock valves and a 220/220 @ .050 cam.

Fraser, out of curiousity, do you know what your RWHP numbers are?

I have a home ported late model with coated GTP rotors and an MP inlet, stock heads, and the Comp Cams Stage 1 cam. I don't have a quarter mile time yet, but last summer before the gear swap and MP inlet and when I had only a resonator delete done to the exhaust it made 250rwhp. I don't really have an accurate quarter mile time for before or after, but before those aforementioned mods I ran a 14.3, but I also broke the spider gears on that run.

Good times, Frit. Looks like I need me some ported heads now.

neverfastenough
07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I think you're cheating lol. Nice runs Frit. I need to start fiddling with mine before I get passed up.

Corey

fturner
07-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I am so wanting to run the car with slicks now :D. Almost had the chance on Saturday as Payton offered to lend me his but it was getting too late in the day.

Cheating... yup, you have no idea :p:D;)... its amazing what you can do with a zip tie in the right spots.

Fraser

old_coot
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Frazer
You have got to slow that thing down---you are putting too much heat on me...I'd hate to have to redo my engine for the FAST shootout-----:cool: Good numbers dude congrats....................Dan

fturner
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
You might get lucky yet.... I've ran into a wall right now and I need to think my way through how to deal with it and not lose that stock look :D. Just need to whittle away at those bricks.

Meanwhile, I still have room to lower my ET's by getting my 60' times down :D. The trap speeds are telling me the potential the car has.

I'm sure you've got a few tricks up your sleeve that you ain't telling anyone ;).

Fraser

Pablo94SC
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Just spent a great day at the track, and set a new time etc.

Ran a best of 13.838 @ 102.56 with a 60' of 2.116.

The car averaged 102.5 trap speeds and 13.9's. Had a couple of runs in the 13.8's beside the above best time.

This was on street tires. Tried lowering the pressure from 40 to 32 but there wasn't much of a difference.

Finally got into the 13's without actually having to get out and push the car :eek:.

I've included a couple of shots of what several folks have seen and can't believe ;) the times..... heck the motor is pretty much stock :rolleyes:, it does have a throttle body and a chip :o.

Fraser

congrats on getting into the 13's. :) With that MPH you should be able to get a 13.5 or better.

I run my street tires at 26lbs and do full burn-outs on them. If the track is prepped right and the tires are hot enough, I could see pulling a low 1.9.

fturner
07-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the advise, problem is, these tires will leach oils if I burn them out. All I do is spin them a couple of revolutions to clean them off and go.

Saving up for slicks now, but I probably won't be seeing those this year :(.

Fraser

Pablo94SC
08-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Leach oil? Ugh. Next time you're looking for a set of rear tires, check out the Firestone FireHawk Wide Ovals. 320 AA A rating and I can get pretty consistant 2.03 60' times and the occasional 1.97. Also great in the rain and in the twisties. :)

I hear ya on slicks though. I'm looking to get myself a set soon as well. I have a feeling that and losing a few pounds (seat, spare) will have me knocking on 12.99's door. :D

fturner
08-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Right now I'm running Firehawk SZ50EP's and there is no way I'm going to sit in the box and smoke these things up.... they are street tires not drag radials and they have a 340 AA A rating. These things are great in the rain and this car can take sharp on ramps at 80mph+ without even a single hint of losing it.

I have yet to read anywhere on the internet that the proper thing to do with high performance street tires is smoke em up when drag racing, and in fact it is the worse thing to do to them.

To each there own ;).

Fraser