PDA

View Full Version : m5r2 strength - 700hp mn12

decipha
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
hey everyone im the proud owner of 3 supercoupes and 1 92 lx that had a 5.0 I twisted 2 rods in my old 5.0 so out it came and in went a 351w and an m5r2 swap to suit it. The car has been giving me 6 months of trouble free driving and now its time to make this car what i want it to be.

I have a spare 351w roller block thats at my machine shop right now being prepped for a 408 stroker kit. I also have a borg warner 75mm turbo thats going on it as well. I was hoping to only make about 700rwhp but looks like unfortunately i'll be much more than that. This will be my daily driver so im looking to make it as reliable as possible. I was hoping to rebuild the m5r2 with brass synchros and be done with it. But it seems as though the m5r2 isin't going to hold that much power. Im thinking my only option is to go with a built t56 but i was hoping someone around here would have some insight. I usually post on tccoa but not too many of those guys deal with the m5r2.
so whats the ideal lifespan of the m5r2 at these power levels?

mmchenry
07-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I have a one in my t-bird, it makes 630rwhp and so far I gone through one each time I go to a track day. It's not breaking, just hard on synchro's and jambed in 3rd gear one time. In my research a t-56 will not hold up either. The only one I've seen that will hold up is a TKO, but they say it doesn't shift that good either.

Toms-SC
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
lentechautomatics.com

No, it is not cheap.

XR7 Dave
07-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Longevity depends entirely on how you drive it. You won't likely hurt it from shear HP, but shock loads will kill it. Drag radials, high rpm launches, and an aggressive clutch are all no-no's. Syncros - all in how you drive. The M5R2 doesn't like gear jamming at any power level. If driven nicely, syncro's don't take any load at all and therefore aren't a factor in Hp level. Input and output shafts will be the first to go from shock loads.

decipha
07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
chen.. how exactly do you beat on that thing? i concur with your t56 statement i remember when i was contemplating the swap i couldn't find one that would withstand the abuse.

tom... auto is not an option

i guess im just going to have to see what the m5r2 is capable of looks like im going to be running about 800 through it at the back wheels.

talonhead
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I emailed D&D Performance for a quote to build the following:
T-56 6 speed trans
Ford spec clutch housing
Viper internals
Input shaft to Ford length and pilot dia (so to use oem sized pilot brg)
LS1 case and tailshaft (for shifter position)
>$4700

They do a lot of work in putting modern trannys into classic muscle cars.
Right now that is a little expensive for me, as I have to get my '93 manual w/T56 (reman LS1) back together, pulling engine from '93 auto to get it on the road until I can rebuild original engine. (Then I'll just rotate engines)
Working on a 460 swap, will probaly be an auto for a while 'til I can afford another t56. I have do a fairly complete teardown of the chassis to clean it up. Looking to do some structural mods (front and rear).

MikeH

Toms-SC
07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
..... wrong transmission type, sorry :D

XxSlowpokexX
07-20-2009, 12:30 AM
They have t56's that will hold up to that power an dthen some

Biggets problem I see is with the power your making you will need a crazy clutch to hold that power without burning up...And from my experience...The stock SC transmissions do not like that type of a clutch

chadder1313
07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Why is everyone against auto's? If your making 6-700 horsepower, more times than not a manual trans will be more difficiult to drive if your gonna make it streetable. If your not trying to make it streetable then by all means do what you wanna. But for all out racing and small drives on the street why wouldnt you go with an auto?

XR7 Dave
07-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Why is everyone against auto's? If your making 6-700 horsepower, more times than not a manual trans will be more difficiult to drive if your gonna make it streetable. If your not trying to make it streetable then by all means do what you wanna. But for all out racing and small drives on the street why wouldnt you go with an auto?

Can't answer for anyone else, but regardless of HP level, give me a clutch and shifter. Autos are for girls. :p

Kurt K
07-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Autos are for girls. :pI'm telling Connie :D

Ira R.
07-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Can't answer for anyone else, but regardless of HP level, give me a clutch and shifter. Autos are for girls. :p

+1 [thumbs up] :D

Ira

XR7 Dave
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm telling Connie :D

Homewrecker!!!!!

talonhead
07-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Change girls to wimps, My wife likes would rather have a clutch and shifter. Especially if the AOD (OEM T-bird no 2nd gear selection) was the option!
Mikeh

XR7 Dave
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Change girls to wimps, My wife likes would rather have a clutch and shifter. Especially if the AOD (OEM T-bird no 2nd gear selection) was the option!
Mikeh

Yes, my wife is the same way and I know several women who prefer to shift. Girls on the other hand.....lol

TbirdSCFan
07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Can't answer for anyone else, but regardless of HP level, give me a clutch and shifter. Autos are for girls. :p Clutch? Clutchs are for girls.. ;) :D

David Neibert
07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I can barely shift an automatic correctly :o

David

BuRHan90SC
07-23-2009, 05:04 AM
all i know is that u cant do anything while driving manual with a girl but an automatic:p...

slowpoke
07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
just go way insane and drop nitro meth wooot

Mike Puckett
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I'll give up my stick shift when they pry my cold dead foot off the clutch pedal.:D