Cant shift into gear / clutch adjustment??

scguru

I have a ripper shifter, replaced the synchros about 6500 miles ago. The prob started as just a slight grind while aggressively shifting into 3rd, otherwise ok. Now its gotten to the point where when slowing to a stop, it shifts..... either perfectly fine OR it doesnt want to let you get into any gear. If you force it into a gear then it shifts fine again for a bit. The clutch just isnt disengaging all the way.
Anyway, since the synchros were pretty new, I changed the clutch fluid. It always seems like it solved the prob.... for a bit, but then it comes back. And the fluid goes in purple (dot 5) but comes out black even if its only been in for a few hundred miles. It looks like its been in there for 10 years.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sounds to me like a clutch disc hanging up on the input shaft. I've had that before, and the solution was a careful inspection of all clutch/flywheel components, some cleaning and re-lubing. The black fluid makes me think of a contaminated slave cylinder. If you have everything apart, suggest replacing the slave cyl. / TO bearing assembly.

Sounds to me like a clutch disc hanging up on the input shaft. I've had that before, and the solution was a careful inspection of all clutch/flywheel components, some cleaning and re-lubing. The black fluid makes me think of a contaminated slave cylinder. If you have everything apart, suggest replacing the slave cyl. / TO bearing assembly.

100% agree, had the slave go out on me, it did intermittent shifting problems like you say your having, then couldnt shift at all and leaked out all the fluid. took about 3 weeks for it to go out all the way. i was new to manual tranny's then so that took me for a loop at first.

Its been doing this for about 2 years now and the slave doesnt leak at all. The slave cylinder has only approx 8000 miles on it. If I bleed and replace the fluid, it makes it better, if not solve the prob... for a short time.

The master clutch cylinder is mounted in the firewall in front of the pedal. It needs to be replaced. My original one would slowly leak back and engage the clutch even though the pedal was all the way to the floor. I had to hold the car in place with the brake to keep it from creeping forward. All the autoparts stores carry replacements. It's not difficult to replace, just awkward to get to.

Back