Wheel Stud Removal?

Ironsam63

Is there a way of getting the studs out without a press? Also, can I install the new stud without a press? ( 89 SC 5 speed, discs and rotors in the back.)

smack it with a hammer to get it out, to put on you can use the lug nut and tighten it with the rotors on.

Thanks, I've done that before on other cars, just wasn't sure because the manual says I can only do that to drum brakes. And disc has to get pressed in and out. But I'm going to try it anyway.

Thanks, I've done that before on other cars, just wasn't sure because the manual says I can only do that to drum brakes. And disc has to get pressed in and out. But I'm going to try it anyway.

Beating on the studs can damage the tapered roller bearings. But that is how 90% of the world changes the studs, so I'm thinking it may not always be THAT bad.

smack it with a hammer to get it out, to put on you can use the lug nut and tighten it with the rotors on.

I've done studs this way before on my ranger and it works fine. Be careful pulling the stud tight if you use the brake rotor to press against. the tapered end of the lug nut can dig into the rotor and cause damage to the hole. I like to buy a few sacrificial washers when I change out studs to prevent this. Takes just a few seconds more and saves the brakes. :D

Also, after you get everything back together make sure you retorque the lugnuts after some miles.

Also, after you get everything back together make sure you retorque the lugnuts after some miles.

very important you do this, as the new stud/studs will likely set after the first torque needing a re-torque within the first 50miles.

Thanks Guys, It worked great. I used a 1" nylon loc-nut with the nylon on the outside and greased a lug nut to spin on the nylon to suck in the new studs. But I was surprised how easily the old ones came out. Old lugnut and about two hits and they were out. I replaced all the studs on the passenger side back because I started to hear a clicking on take off and when I stepped off the gas without pressing the clutch, making the car nose dive. The noise sounds like the creeking you hear when you are taking an old lugnut off or when you tighten it to tight. I changed the caliper, brakes, got rotor turned, 5 new wheel studs, and 5 new lugnuts. Also cleaned and greased everything back there and I also changed to a different rim. Any ideas? If it helps I just changed motor mounts, clutch, got my trans rebuilt with new solid mount. I hope changing to all solid mounts with a fresh trans is not damaging my rear end, half-shafts, or back hub. Thanks, SAM

Back