Hard brake pedal, grinds, PICS

89tird

Hey guys sometimes while driving when I go press the brake pedal, its really hard and I could only go 1/4 down the travel, and it makes a really loud grinding noise, like if the pads got stuck on the rotor and its stopping the car. Its happened 3 times and its really scary.

I also get a rattle in the left front wheel area at slow speeds with small bumps, its louder if I press the brake. any ideas ?

Upper and lower control arms probably need to be replaced.....

While your in there, you can check the condition of the brake pads and rotors.....:p

pads got a bunch of life left..

I was thinking maybe the master cylinder or booster are bad.. its like the abs lock or something

>makes a really loud grinding noise

I'd check the dust shields....sounds like at least one is bent, etc. Also confirm all lug nuts are tight.

As for the hard pedal...check this link:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

forgot to mention its on the 95 :D

dust shields have clearance, lug nuts are tight and its not like a constant grinding sound.

its something serious the brake pedal gets hard and the car stops but with a loud grind

oh also, a couple of months back, I went over a speed bump faster than usual and the front brakes locked up and I also got an ABS light for like a second.. :confused:

forgot to mention its on the 95 :D

dust shields have clearance, lug nuts are tight and its not like a constant grinding sound.

its something serious the brake pedal gets hard and the car stops but with a loud grind

Well, if you need other suspects, 'ders always wheel bearings....

no codes other than EGR.

ignition tumbler ?

Just confirmed it today. the rattle is only there when the brakes are pressed. and its sounds like if it was inside the car around the brake pedal area.. nothing loose down there though.brakes worked perfectly today.

took the drivers wheel off, found some homemade shims against the pad, I could move the pad fairly easy with my hand, it moves like 1/4 of an inch. and the caliper could be moved up and down with a screwdriver too.

so I checked that the bolts where tight and the ones that hold the caliper to the bracket are really tight but, the other two have a torx head so I couldnt check.

I guess this is my problem, should the pad have play ?

101_0347.jpg

101_0348.jpg

Back