4.2 work in SC

Turbong2001

Can you put SC parts onto the ford 4.2???? Is the 4.2 any better or worse, most likely not forged but could you get forged parts for it and build it up????
Has anyone done this?

yes and yes--it can and has been done---the stock 4.2 rods are powdered iron and so they can't take boost but the blocks are ok and the cranks are cast steel, better than cast iron but not as good as the forged steel of an SC engine but they seem adequate for moderate power levels---so far at least.................Dan

Yes---I have stock SC rods in mine with late model mustang 3.8 pistons...I had to shave the center counterweights on the crank to use the shorter SC rods but it's run a 13.68 so far with a stock MAF and stock intercooler---I'm having to choke it to stay within the F.A.S.T. rules or the times could be much better..................Dan

13.68 way to go Dan, I didnt know it was that quick now. Keep it up.
Thanks----I tweaked something in it (I'm suspecting head gaskets since I put it together with standard felpros---I didn't expect it to run this good) so I am pulling it down and intend putting some oversize valves in it this time. If I have to get into the block, I will pull a half point of compression out of it so I can add some timing back---and a cam change maybe, it ought to be a different animal the next time it goes together..........Dan

Back