6 speed possibilities?

i'm hoping you searched... and searched again...

yes, there is an option, and it was discussed in another recent thread. a t56 will work, will have to be built up, and one out of a camaro/ta/firebird/gto will have to be used, along with a 5.0 bellhousing.

its expensive, and imho not worth it because of the power handling capabilities of these m5r2 transmissions. :)

M5r2...

M5R2's are for sunday driver's (and not sunday at the track) they are a truck trans and shift like a truck. If you take care of it dont stress it it may last for a long time, the more you stress it, the more issues it will develope sooner. I am not to impressed with mine. I had a T-50 5 spd in my XXXXXXXXVega GT that shifted much better! Until a mechanic my sister took it to put gearlube in it instead of atf! It had 120K+ on the engine and 50K on the second tranny when I replaced the engine and traded it for a motorcycle. Which shifted better than either one.
Reason I'm puting a T56 in my 93. I've driven other six speed vehicles. But none with 2.73's out back. We'll shall see what we see.
MikeH

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove an ls2 gto for about 3hours last night, t-56 of course. I like my m5r2 better, my throw is shorter and I can actually feel going into each gear. The t-56 felt mushy like. The only advantage, I didnt notice a big jump like 2-3 in a m5r2. I guess I like the truck feel

The gtos shift feels mushy because of the giant rubber isolater on the shifter handle. With a short throw shifter the shifts on that trans are short and percise. I had a 99 WS6 Trans am with the six speed and personally out of all the stick shift cars I have driven the t56 in the ws6 was the best.

There's nothing better than a Viper Spec T-56 with a good shifter. Got one in my Cobra, I abuse the heck out of it at the track, and I love it. :cool:

And, I will find a way to get the extra T-56 I have in my '95 SC. I've already got the bellhousing, and I'll figure out a solution to the shifter location issue. :D

There's nothing better than a Viper Spec T-56 with a good shifter. Got one in my Cobra, I abuse the heck out of it at the track, and I love it. :cool:

And, I will find a way to get the extra T-56 I have in my '95 SC. I've already got the bellhousing, and I'll figure out a solution to the shifter location issue. :D

If it is not an LS1 configured tailshaft maybe the GTO shifter extension will work for you. Don't know how high that unit sits. I had to notch the tunnel on the front side to get the shifter up into place.

MikeH

If it is not an LS1 configured tailshaft maybe the GTO shifter extension will work for you. Don't know how high that unit sits. I had to notch the tunnel on the front side to get the shifter up into place.

MikeH

The problem I envision with the LS1 tailshaft is the lack of a speedometer drive.... Unless I've missed something.

I'm looking into using the late model GT500 shifter.

The GM trans uses an electronic speedo type. I will be using a Dakota Digital calibration box to run my speedo. As it's an EEC-IV it doesn't use the speedo signal for ABS.

I'm pretty sure the LS2 GTO T56 has triple cone blockers like the Vette's. Not quite the same animal as your run of the mill LS1 T56.

Micah

The owner of the gto I was driving had a ls1 gto before it, he said the shift difference was night and day and that the ls1 car was unbearable to drive and thats the reason its gone.

LS2 / corvette

The Corvette T56 is mounted to the diff, Kinda makes it a transaxle, being driven by a torque-tube. Don't know much about the difference in the guts of these things. Have learned a little bit about the application differences.
Have seen a trans with the 'GTO' shifter extension before, looks like it's about 6-8 inches long.
t-56 pics of my setup

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33194&d=1214248730

Last edited:
Back