Still leaking

IGot6UGot8

Okay.. I've been attempting to find this oil leak for the last week, but have no idea where it's at. The oil is leaking onto the rack and pinion unit , and also dripping off the oil pan. I cleaned the area real good with simple green, and ran it for a while. It took a few minutes of idling, then a pass around the block before it started dripping again. There's no oil to be seen in front of the X-member, but quite a bit above the rack. The edges around the pan look to be dry also. What also get me is that the oil is not hot coming off the rack. Someone had mentioned a dye... last time I tried that with a black light it didn't work. I believe you have to use a UV light, anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks
Jake
91 SC

Sounds like when my oil pressure sender cracked.. only would drip oil while the car was running and it looked like it was coming from the oil pump itself.. turns out it was dripping down onto the back of the oil pump and then onto the frame around the rack.
Feel around it and see if its oily.:)

Just an idea, I chased an oil leak for about a year until I noticed that the tube for the dipstick was loose. When I was looking to see where it was supposed to connect to the bracket, I found the leak at the junction point of the tube and oil pan. It would blow oil out whenever the engine was at operating temp, but not drip at all when cool. Just another place to check.....

Back