PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiter

baer198
07-23-2009, 03:22 PM
OK i have a 5 speed trans in my SC, and i found this on a web page saying my car has a built in rev limiter is this true, and could you adjust this? I'm not sure but 6200 rpm's might tear my motor .

A rev limiter is designed to keep you from over revving your engine. All SCís
and XR7ís with the 3.8L supercharged engine redline at 5000 rpm. Those cars
equipped with the manual transmission do not rev limit until 6200 rpm though.
The 4R70W equipped cars rev limit at approximately 5500 rpm. This means
that in both applications, you would be able to rev your car higher than the
designed red line. But once you hit the rev limiter the EEC will cut spark to the
engine so that your rpms do not go any higher.

sinhumane
07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
past redline, you run the risk of collapsing your hydraulic lifters and beating your pushrods to a pulp.... ask me how i know this... ;)

sts70004
07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
past redline, you run the risk of collapsing your hydraulic lifters and beating your pushrods to a pulp.... ask me how i know this... ;)

How do you know this? hehe I've always thought about this too, with better rockers and maybe with aftermarket pushrods/lifters can you reach the limit safely?

slowpoke
07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
not sure about readjusting the rev limiter, but you cal buy and install one from jegs or summit.

baer198
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
what kind would work with the stock DIS system , and thanks for the info fellas .

bowez
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Well it a relatively simple circuit with a Cap (as a filter) and a relay (tuning this is where the knowledge/experience would be needed), and use the AC singal generated by either the Cam or Crank sensors.

Silenced
07-24-2009, 09:48 AM
It's a fuel cut.

EDIS has two wires to the ECU...

SAW --> EDIS = Pulsewidth based timing command.
PIP --> ECU = Pulsewidth based feedback on how much timing is being used.

There isn't a "OMG!CutSpark!" wire.

Even if you cut the SAW cable, EDIS will still spark at base timing of 10*.

fturner
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Out of curiosity, why would you not consider going with a chip that can adjust all the different limiters that are in the ECU?

Fraser

Silenced
07-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Out of curiosity, why would you not consider going with a chip that can adjust all the different limiters that are in the ECU?

FraserUhh....

In his own post, he said that he has a 5-speed.... And he said that he can already rev to 6200, far beyond where he needs to rev.....

Why would he want to adjust his rev limiter??

fturner
07-24-2009, 11:01 AM
He's the one that asked, everyone answered with an aftermarket system, and I suggested a chip instead.....

Fraser

Silenced
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah... Didn't I just say that the factory computer's stratey for limiting RPMs is to cut fuel???

Something about fuel delivery cutting off at 6000rpms under high load doesn't sit will with me... I wonder why :rolleyes:

I'll give you credit that a chip would give him more flexibility than the aftermarket options, yet the issue is still trying to fix the driver with a computer....

baer198
07-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I plan on getting a chip after all my mod's are done. my main worry right now is over revving, and i really don't want to damage my engine . the engine in my SC seems to be in really good shape. i used a stethoscope to listen to all the internals, and to me ever things working as it should.

baer198
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I know a tach with a shift light would help, but i really don't want that on my dash. because i like the lay out of the inside from the factory , the only mod i plan on doing inside the car would be a triple gauge pod . what I'm looking for is a plug n play rev limiter that will plug right into the stock dis system , and lower the rev limit until my mods are all done .

fturner
07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah... Didn't I just say that the factory computer's stratey for limiting RPMs is to cut fuel???

Something about fuel delivery cutting off at 6000rpms under high load doesn't sit will with me... I wonder why :rolleyes:

I'll give you credit that a chip would give him more flexibility than the aftermarket options, yet the issue is still trying to fix the driver with a computer....

There is actually several limiters involving both fuel and spark, and they come in to play in several stages.... all ranging from fuel enrichment and spark pull initially, to shutting off half the injectors to complete fuel shutoff. All of these can be adjusted to when they come into play. Things like Load, ECT, ACT, MPH, RPM and calculations done to determine what gear the transmission is in all determine which stage is used.

Now thats something, you actually gave me credit for knowing something :).

Fraser

Silenced
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Hehe I never said you didn't know about EEC :)

An ignition timing drop, and throwing more fuel at it when it gets to 5500 would be a good start, and would probably help slow the climb down.

The ultimate solution though is to LIFT YOUR DAMN FOOT! I'm sure you're new to driving a 5-speed, but just practice.... Go out and beat the crap out of your car pretending 4000rpms is where you "NEED" to shift, so that you get the hang of it. If you overshoot 4000ish when you're practicing, who cares, right?

I'd be more worried about hitting the actual fuel cut and spiking lean than collapsing a hydraulic lifter like Tyler's piece did.

baer198
07-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Hehe I never said you didn't know about EEC :)

An ignition timing drop, and throwing more fuel at it when it gets to 5500 would be a good start, and would probably help slow the climb down.

The ultimate solution though is to LIFT YOUR DAMN FOOT! I'm sure you're new to driving a 5-speed, but just practice.... Go out and beat the crap out of your car pretending 4000rpms is where you "NEED" to shift, so that you get the hang of it. If you overshoot 4000ish when you're practicing, who cares, right?

I'd be more worried about hitting the actual fuel cut and spiking lean than collapsing a hydraulic lifter like Tyler's piece did.

good point, but i have tried this , and failed . the reason is i shift by sound, and always have on any stick shift . my prob is that with my SC and the quit exhaust i can't really tell the difference between 5000, 5500, or 6000 rpm's the motor sounds the same at all those rpm's.

XR7 Dave
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm not suggesting that a fuel cut is an ideal rev limiter, but claiming fear about leaning out as the rev limiter kicks in is showing a pretty decent lack of understanding as to what happens at fuel cut.

Fuel cut = instantaneous no fuel. No fuel means no fire. No fire means no lean spike. Fuel cut - engine shuts off. End of story. Now if he was running a wet shot nitrous system that would be different.

XR7 Dave
07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
good point, but i have tried this , and failed . the reason is i shift by sound, and always have on any stick shift . my prob is that with my SC and the quit exhaust i can't really tell the difference between 5000, 5500, or 6000 rpm's the motor sounds the same at all those rpm's.

So the fact that the motor takes a complete HP dump by 5000rpm isn't clue enough for you? :rolleyes::D

Sorry, but you asked for it. :p

baer198
07-24-2009, 11:50 AM
ever rev limiter i have found has said Not compatible with distributor less systems, or you must have four or six coils, the SC's have one big one right or do they consider this to be a six coil ?

Silenced
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Hehehe Maybe it's time for an exhaust then :D I'm sure the SC would love ya for it!!

How about an RPM-window-switch triggered by the in-dash tach, when triggered will power a relay removing power from the Red-LightGreen wire feeding the coilpack?

baer198
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
So the fact that the motor takes a complete HP dump by 5000rpm isn't clue enough for you? :rolleyes::D

Sorry, but you asked for it. :p

to be honest it pulls just as hard from 4500 to 6000. i thought i would feel the difference as well from reading about the drop off in hp on the SC at 5200rpm's i think.

now this is my first SC, but i have owned a few others like the 88 turbo coup. the 88 was a lot easier to shift by the sound of the engine.

Silenced
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Fuel cut = instantaneous no fuel. No fuel means no fire. No fire means no lean spike. Fuel cut - engine shuts off. End of story. Now if he was running a wet shot nitrous system that would be different.

So, what, you are telling me there is zero puddling going on in the lower intake manifold at all when you have 6 injectors dumping enough fuel to make the car churn at 11:1 air fuel?

David Neibert
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
So, what, you are telling me there is zero puddling going on in the lower intake manifold at all when you have 6 injectors dumping enough fuel to make the car churn at 11:1 air fuel?

Why would there be fuel in the lower intake manifold ? Fuel is injected into the intake runner on the heads (after the manifold).

David

baer198
07-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Hehehe Maybe it's time for an exhaust then :D I'm sure the SC would love ya for it!!

How about an RPM-window-switch triggered by the in-dash tach, when triggered will power a relay removing power from the Red-LightGreen wire feeding the coilpack?

that's an idea. I will get to the exhaust its coming up on my list, but I'm on a budget for my SC. my monthly budget is 300 bucks for parts , so it will take a little while. 5 kids man lmao.

fturner
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Besides watching your RPM's closer, the chip is the way to go and is in your budget. Besides, there's a few other tweaks that can be done with the chip to help the car out such as running cooler etc.

Fraser

baer198
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Besides watching your RPM's closer, the chip is the way to go and is in your budget. Besides, there's a few other tweaks that can be done with the chip to help the car out such as running cooler etc.

Fraser

I have seen a few chips from SCU, and my question is when i buy the chip, and have the rev limiter lowered will the EEC lower my rev's like a soft touch would do ?

Silenced
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Why would there be fuel in the lower intake manifold ? Fuel is injected into the intake runner on the heads (after the manifold).

David

At 80 percent capacity, you've got 6 injectors releasing fuel roughly 575 out of the 720 crank rotations of the motor, with with a supercharger upstream cramming more air into the flow. Six times during the two complete rotations of the motor, an intake valve opens, and due to the principle of diffusion, the matter in the lower intake manifold will flow towards the low pressure opening. What you're telling me is that the mist of fuel waits pollitely for it's respective port to open?

You would know better than I if SC's have an issue with puddling. I see it on my 4.6, but that's apples to oranges. I'm just saying it does happen.

fturner
07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I have seen a few chips from SCU, and my question is when i buy the chip, and have the rev limiter lowered will the EEC lower my rev's like a soft touch would do ?

In your case I'd activate the stage 2 limiters which is gear and rpm based and what that will do is shut off half the injector when it kicks in. Normally in our cars it takes 27 seconds to hit that limiter but that can be lowered as well.

There is another limiter that is based off the PIP signal, and that can be lowered that when a certain PIP or RPM is hit, it just simply won't go any further at all, but the car will end up with a bucking sensation as it goes over/under that number.

Fraser

slowpoke
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I know a tach with a shift light would help, but i really don't want that on my dash. because i like the lay out of the inside from the factory , the only mod i plan on doing inside the car would be a triple gauge pod . what I'm looking for is a plug n play rev limiter that will plug right into the stock dis system , and lower the rev limit until my mods are all done .
there's really nothing wrong with the oem tachs, as for shift light they make them small enough you can custom install the into your instrument cluster.

Mike Puckett
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I've bounced mine off the rev limiter so many times on missed 3rd gear shifts that I've lost count. I'm pretty sure that's why a valve spring retainer broke last month. I didn't miss a shift on that pass but it probably had been cracked for awhile. The rev limiter does work, though. I can't tell if it's cutting off the fuel but it definitely cuts the spark.

baer198
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
there's really nothing wrong with the oem tachs, as for shift light they make them small enough you can custom install the into your instrument cluster.

so i could use my oem tach, and add the light where i want it . now how would i go about doing this . a light will add to the factory appearance using the oem tach.

baer198
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I've bounced mine off the rev limiter so many times on missed 3rd gear shifts that I've lost count. I'm pretty sure that's why a valve spring retainer broke last month. I didn't miss a shift on that pass but it probably had been cracked for awhile. The rev limiter does work, though. I can't tell if it's cutting off the fuel but it definitely cuts the spark.

that is what I'm trying to avoid lol, ever one with a stick can have an off day, so a lower safety net will ease my mind. my engine will be a lot happier knowing its their. Human error SUCK'S lol.

WhiteThunder
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM

If I cut loose in 1st gear and get the tires spinning with no wheel hop, I'll hit the rev limiter very quickly. I have a chip in the car.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

baer198
07-24-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_pages/sophomore_year/shiftlight_install.htm

well i found a start , but its a camaro, should be a bird. now can we make this work on our cars, or at least mine lol? the guy who mad this has a few good points about the light .

baer198
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
A shift light serves several important purposes. We wanted to add the ability to know that it was time to shift without having to concentrate on the tachometer in the dash. Now we can concentrate more on the road ahead of us and shift gears when the light comes on. Also, the factory tachometer is slow in responding to the actual rpm's the car is at during a wide-open throttle first gear run. This causes us to hit the rev limiter (which is not a bad thing but not a good thing either). Now we have an accurate notification of when we need to shift! :-)

this is a perfect example of why i like this .

Mike Puckett
07-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I have an adjustable shift light on mine. It doesn't help with the missed shifts but it sure helps my consistency. I've also hit the rev limiter during burnouts a couple times usually because I've rolled thru the water box. Now I go around. I can still easily spin the tires but they don't want to spin out of control like wet tires do.

baer198
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM
that's is what i love about stick shifts , over the auto in any sports car. the driver has to be in tune with the car . don't get me wrong auto's are fun, but a stick is where real racing lies , because if you miss a shift or just not in tune with your car you can lose a race to a person with a inferior car . in my opinion a auto is a little boring , all i have to do is hold the gas pedal down and the trans dose all the work . so any body who has raced a auto , with close hp and won i give you mad props. you do more work lol.

fturner
07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
that's is what i love about stick shifts , over the auto in any sports car. the driver has to be in tune with the car . don't get me wrong auto's are fun, but a stick is where real racing lies , because if you miss a shift or just not in tune with your car you can lose a race to a person with a inferior car . in my opinion a auto is a little boring , all i have to do is hold the gas pedal down and the trans dose all the work . so any body who has raced a auto , with close hp and won i give you mad props. you do more work lol.

I have an auto, and only when I'm lazy do I let the tranny shift. I lose at least 3/10's unless I shift it manually, and trust me.. I've hit 6000 rpm's accidently by not paying attention to the tach, and by not paying attention I've lost the race because I took the rpm's out of the power band of the car. I have to do the 1-2 shift at 4600 so the shift completes at 5000 so it drops right into best torque band, then I have to do the 2-3 shift at 4800 rpm's to get a 5000 rpm shift.

So no, your wrong in that aspect that the driver doesn't have to shift in an auto and they don't have to pay attention to that sort of stuff, not if he wants full power of the car, and besides... I've yet to see anyone driving a stick beat an auto in shifting if the trans is set up right :D.

Fraser

baer198
07-24-2009, 02:22 PM
I have an auto, and only when I'm lazy do I let the tranny shift. I lose at least 3/10's unless I shift it manually, and trust me.. I've hit 6000 rpm's accidently by not paying attention to the tach, and by not paying attention I've lost the race because I took the rpm's out of the power band of the car. I have to do the 1-2 shift at 4600 so the shift completes at 5000 so it drops right into best torque band, then I have to do the 2-3 shift at 4800 rpm's to get a 5000 rpm shift.

So no, your wrong in that aspect that the driver doesn't have to shift in an auto and they don't have to pay attention to that sort of stuff, not if he wants full power of the car, and besides... I've yet to see anyone driving a stick beat an auto in shifting if the trans is set up right :D.

Fraser

lol i never said that about a auto with a manual shift kit, just a straight auto you hold the gas and the trans dose the work. even comparing a slap shifting in the auto is still easier in my opinion, and yes you do have to watch your shift points, but actually shifting a stick is a lot harder. both feet are working , and you have a longer throw in the manual than a slap shifter in the auto . just my opinion though not a fact

sinhumane
07-24-2009, 02:29 PM
easist solution has been offered by dave... learn your car's limits... it will take moderate abuse without complaining, so long as you dont have detonation, your valvetrain can take it in short bursts... it took me over two years of redline abuse to collapse a lifter...

you can go to solid roller lifters, with rockers and shims... beehive springs and titanium retainers just to be safe.

oh... and if you plan on high revs... invest in a new balancer....

fturner
07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I've driven stick for years and the only reason I don't have one now is bad knee's. My tranny doesn't have a manual valve body, only a mild kit to improve the shifts a bit in the stock valvebody.

I pull the stick right back to 1, then shift into D for 2nd gear then into OD for 3rd gear. I don't even know what your talking about with the slap shifter as I don't have a new enough car that would have one.

Sticks are funner I will give you that, but if I was after the best ET I can get out of the car, it'll be through an auto manual shifting it.

Fraser

baer198
07-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I've driven stick for years and the only reason I don't have one now is bad knee's. My tranny doesn't have a manual valve body, only a mild kit to improve the shifts a bit in the stock valvebody.

I pull the stick right back to 1, then shift into D for 2nd gear then into OD for 3rd gear. I don't even know what your talking about with the slap shifter as I don't have a new enough car that would have one.

Sticks are funner I will give you that, but if I was after the best ET I can get out of the car, it'll be through an auto manual shifting it.

Fraser

true. my dad had Ford Torino with an auto, and all you had to do is hold the gas to the floor and hit that slap shifter if that's the name to switch gears, no clutch pedal

sinhumane
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
i assume we're talking about a torino with a c trans, and a b&m or hurst style gate shifter.... :)

baer198
07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
easist solution has been offered by dave... learn your car's limits... it will take moderate abuse without complaining, so long as you dont have detonation, your valvetrain can take it in short bursts... it took me over two years of redline abuse to collapse a lifter...

you can go to solid roller lifters, with rockers and shims... beehive springs and titanium retainers just to be safe.

oh... and if you plan on high revs... invest in a new balancer....

be leave me I'm taking what you guys say Sirius, and i will bit the bullet and learn how to drive this bad boy right.

baer198
07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
i assume we're talking about a torino with a c trans, and a b&m or hurst style gate shifter.... :)

i think so, all i know is their was no clutch pedal to shift threw the gears, and you had to slap the hammer up, or down to change the gears . now if that was in a SC auto wow!

fturner
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
i think so, all i know is their was no clutch pedal to shift threw the gears, and you had to slap the hammer up, or down to change the gears . now if that was in a SC auto wow!

Match that up with a lentech built AOD :eek:.... wicked :D.

Fraser

sinhumane
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
swap in a c4 auto and a z gate shifter.

baer198
07-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I was never trying to knock you guys with the auto SC. in my opinion a guy with the manual trans has to do more work to win against an auto with around the same hp levels because of all the variables with the clutch, and shifting on point. When i get older, or if i have any damage done to my leg I'm sure , i will fall in love with the auto too.

David Neibert
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM

The only plug and play rev limiter is going to be a custom chip. If your planning to buy one anyway after modding the car, just buy it now and get it reburned later for the mods.

Honestly...if you can't stay off the rev limiter with the car in stock form, a shift light isn't going to help. It's not a big deal if you hit the limiter anyway. Don't go by what the factory tach says as gospel for the rpms, because they usually read quite a bit higher than actual rpms.

David

baer198
07-24-2009, 03:21 PM
The only plug and play rev limiter is going to be a custom chip. If your planning to buy one anyway after modding the car, just buy it now and get it reburned later for the mods.

Honestly...if you can't stay off the rev limiter with the car in stock form, a shift light isn't going to help. It's not a big deal if you hit the limiter anyway. Don't go by what the factory tach says as gospel for the rpms, because they usually read quite a bit higher than actual rpms.

David

right, my problem is that when i drive, or street race my eyes are glued to the road not to the tach. but if i could mount a shift light in the cluster panel trim right at the top before it connects to the dash i should be able to see this clearly. I'm searching the web looking for details on what to get and how its done. the camaro forum gives me the start, but i have to look at fords wiring diagram , and try to figure it out. + i think using the oem tach with your own shift light would be cool.

David Neibert
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
right, my problem is that when i drive, or street race my eyes are glued to the road not to the tach. but if i could mount a shift light in the cluster panel trim right at the top before it connects to the dash i should be able to see this clearly. I'm searching the web looking for details on what to get and how its done. the camaro forum gives me the start, but i have to look at fords wiring diagram , and try to figure it out. + i think using the oem tach with your own shift light would be cool.

Installing a shift light is very easy...pretty much the same wiring as an aftermarket tach. Any of the 3 power wires on the coil pack will work for the rpm signal, then you just need 12 volts and a ground. You can also get the tach signal from several other places. Search "shift light" and you'll find several threads.

David

baer198
07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Installing a shift light is very easy...pretty much the same wiring as an aftermarket tach. Any of the 3 power wires on the coil pack will work for the rpm signal, then you just need 12 volts and a ground. You can also get the tach signal from several other places.

David

thanks. as soon as i get the cash, next months budget lol I'll get it done. the only thing i plan on is rewiring the shift light to a few small LED'S, and hopefully i get that factory look.

baer198
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
one more ? when i get this where would be the best rpm's to set the shift light. my sc to my eye seems stock, but it dose pull all the way up to 6000 maybe a little less because i do watch the road more than my tach. so i'm not sure if any internal work was done, but i would rather be safe until i open the block for a cam, and head porting.

Mike Puckett
07-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I've got the Proform shift light I got from Jeg's. I like it because it's got the adjustable rpm knob on the back. It's pretty accurate but it's possible to accidentally bump the knob and knock it out of adjustment, which I've done and then wondered why it's not going off. I get my tach signal from the VMM connector. I usually set my shift point at 5500. We switch to the 1/8th mi this weekend so I'll probably bump it up to 5700 so I don't run out of rpm and have to shift before the finish line.

XR7 Dave
07-24-2009, 06:32 PM
While there will be some residual fuel in the intake manifold after fuel cut, it is not enough to damage the engine, nor is it enough to keep the engine running in a lean condition. Fuel cut, engine dies.

BTW, there is a nearly plug and play ignition cut rev limiter that works on the SC. I forget the link but if you search this site you can find it.

{edit} With a little ingenuity you could connect some super bright LED's to the OE shift light and then control that with a chip (or QH). MSD also has a really nice shift light, it's programmable for different shift points in all 4 gears. Works awesome on the SC.

baer198
07-24-2009, 06:49 PM
While there will be some residual fuel in the intake manifold after fuel cut, it is not enough to damage the engine, nor is it enough to keep the engine running in a lean condition. Fuel cut, engine dies.

BTW, there is a nearly plug and play ignition cut rev limiter that works on the SC. I forget the link but if you search this site you can find it.

{edit} With a little ingenuity you could connect some super bright LED's to the OE shift light and then control that with a chip (or QH). MSD also has a really nice shift light, it's programmable for different shift points in all 4 gears. Works awesome on the SC.

thanks i will look into it.

slowpoke
07-25-2009, 01:32 AM
so i could use my oem tach, and add the light where i want it . now how would i go about doing this . a light will add to the factory appearance using the oem tach.

yes you can use the oem tach and still add just a shift light. get a mini adjustable or chip shift light. pick out a blank area on the instrument cluster (make sure theres nothing behind it that you need) stencil the size of the light on to it and cut the hole out using a dremel . then use a low vaporous resin epoxy (hysol works good) to mold it to the back side of the cluster. if i recall correctly the green wire running to your tach is the smart lead you need for the shift light. adjust your light to where you want it to flash and enjoy.

slowpoke
07-25-2009, 01:35 AM

i have yet to see my oem shift light work even once yet lol

baer198
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM
yes you can use the oem tach and still add just a shift light. get a mini adjustable or chip shift light. pick out a blank area on the instrument cluster (make sure theres nothing behind it that you need) stencil the size of the light on to it and cut the hole out using a dremel . then use a low vaporous resin epoxy (hysol works good) to mold it to the back side of the cluster. if i recall correctly the green wire running to your tach is the smart lead you need for the shift light. adjust your light to where you want it to flash and enjoy.

thanks bro.