View Full Version : Fuseable Link Question

07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
I finally got the car running again but I had an issue with it overheating real bad and pegged the temp gauge. The car blew a heater hose and the fan wiring caught on fire at the motor. Its a 2800cfm SPAL fan. The wiring only burnt up at the motor as you can see in the pic. When I grabbed the wires, they pulled right out of the motor.

My question is after doing some searches, I looked at the fuseable links behind the PDB and they look normal. How would I know if they are blown or bad? Would the overheating cause the fan wires to burn up like that? I never had a problem with the fan until it overheated. Would the fact that the fan pulls 22 amps be a problem? I apologize for the 100 questions.

Any help once again is greatly appreciated.

07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
You can check a fusable link by pulling on it---If its burned out the rubber coating will let it stretch if the wire inside is still intact you won't be able to stretch it.as for the burning of the wire to the fan---overheating should not do that ----I'd be checking for a short or bad fan.............Dan

07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
a note on fuseable links. Littlefuse has a new line of high current fueses that can be used in place of fuseable links. Their MEGA line of slow blow, high current fuses make replacement of fuseable links much easier.


Mike Puckett
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
I had that happen once on a friend's SC with the stock fan and motor and an aftermarket fan controller. The motor failed and burnt up the wire and burnt out the relay contacts. Now I always use an inline fuse and conneect it to the battery terminal.