Vibration and low hum when cruzing 75+

SCYALTR

Hello,
When I am on the freeway going 75mph+ and let off the accelerator I get a low humming accompanied by vibration. I have had the wheels re balanced and still get the noise, and vibration. When I do the same at 95+ the sound is not as loud and the vibration is not as bad.
Does this sound like a driveshaft that is out of balance?
Does it sound like a transmission problem?
I sure could use some help here.
Thanks,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

I have noticed on mine and read that these cars have an exhaust resonance (vibration) at about 2100 rpm. It feels and sounds like a wheel out of balance. If I remember correctly 2100 in OD is about 75mph. Might be something to check.....

If this vibration is increased when you decelerate, then its possible your U-Joints are failing. You don't want them to fail when out driving, as it will prevent the car from moving. you can check them by lifting the vehicle and attempting to move the driveshaft. If you are able to get any play, they are worn. If not, they could be ok.. but they might also be worn frozen. Have them checked if you are unsure

If it were me, I would go with the opinion of Digitalchaos. I have had the same problem with other cars, but not my SC yet.

Biggin':D

Check for loose bolts

I had the same problem and it got progressively worse over time. It turned out that the bolts that attach the driveshaft to the pumpkin worked loose. I added some locktite and torqued them to spec. Vibration are gone.....

Thanks

Hello Men,
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I shall take a closer look in the morning, and let you know what I find.
Thanks,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

Hello

Hello Boyz,
I seem to have fixed the problem thanks to your suggestions.
The bolts that hold the driveshaft to the pumpkin were soooooo lose I could turn them with my fingers.
Well, thanks again.
Laterz,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

Hmmm. Thats funny. I only ever had loose driveshaft bolts on my Mustang. Though I suppose thats better than what happened to my Ranger....I don't wanna go there. Ok I will. The freakin thing busted into two! Moments before this, I was doing 100km/hr! I stopped to unlock the front hubs to stop the front running gear to see if I could isolate a seemingly innocent drive line vibration while acceletaring. It felt like a U-joint.
I backed up 10 ft to disengauge the now unlockd hubs, then I let the clutch out to go ahead BANG! Lucky to be typing this today!

Back