PDA

View Full Version : Foglight Recommendations Please!

ChrisPearl95
07-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Time to replace again! Is there a brand that fits the natural shape that has easy to change bulbs. Until now, I have been using the basic 25 dollar set from Autozone.

Thanks, Chris

whiplash15
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
If you go with the stock ones, they are fairly easy to find now, and they have a great number of bulb chioices, including some pretty hot LED's. I have 8500K 893's in mine which match the HID conversion bulbs in the headlights.

WhiteThunder
07-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I had some L-shaped brackets fabricated so PIAA 1500XT driving lamps, which are the same shape as the OEM fog lamps, would fit in same spot. Wired them into the OEM circuit so they'll operate via the same switch in the console.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Duffy Floyd
07-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I used Hella 530 lights mounted off a 1 X 1" piece of angle iron in the stock location. They completely fill the opening in the facia. You can see pics here...........

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105325

whiplash15
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
No doubt, the Hellas look good!

ChrisPearl95
07-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Are they sold yet? What is and where do you get an "angle iron"? :confused:

I would have to take them somewhere to have them installed...is it pretty simple to install?

thanks, Chris

Duffy Floyd
07-26-2009, 03:01 PM
You can buy angle iron at Home Depot or Lowe's. All it is as a length of material in this case with a 90 degree bend in it with 1" distance on each of the bent sides. When looked at on end...shaped like an "L" with each leg equal length. In this application you need some thickness to the material (solid steel) so the lights don't shake when you go over bumps.

You cut the angle iron into 6" lengths, drill two holes in the proper position to be placed back to the original mounting hole locations for the OEM foglamps and then drill another hole in the center of the opposite leg for the centerpost of the replacement foglamps. Got to wire in the replacements though. If these are for a 95 you may be able to use some of the stock wiring but I would replace it with a heavier guage from the foglamp relay to the lamps themselves since these replacements draw 55 watts each.

Since this is not a classified posting I will respond to Chris by PM. I only linked to the "other" post for the pics which you can't post multiple times on the board.

Mike8675309
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Just a quick note. Local hardware stores like Ace and True Value will have angle iron as well. Usually in the rows near the back they have a steel rack with all sorts of misc steel for projects and weldng. Square stock, round stock, flat stock, sheets, angle, and of course, threaded rod.

I've had quite a few trips to the hardware store lately, mostly for fastners, but I can't help but browse a bit each time and keep track of everything they have.

slowpoke
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
i do alot of country driving so what i did helps alot. i took the oem fog light housing and cut it out a lil with a dremel on the back side to place the bright light bulbs for this car into them. they dont send much light out in front of you but they send out alot of light to your sides. allowing you to see deer, coyote, coon, in town kids about to get ran over, and old people lost looking for there kitty. might not be the route your looking for but works good for me. for straight ahead lighting i set a sub-relay system up that reactivates the dims when i turn to the brights. works pretty good. and still maintaining the stock look.