PDA

View Full Version : first track times need help!

thunderbird17sc
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
i went up to capitol raceway this friday to run the t bird and it wasnt good
i only got to run twice because of cars spilling oil every second

1st run- i missed 3rd and spun the tires through 1st gear
track temp 104
r/t: .744
60: 2.306
330: 6.418
1/8: 10.029
mph: 64.85
1000: 13.332
1/4: 15.985
mph: 86.74

2nd run- spun tires through 1st and 2nd
track temp 98
r/t: .760
60: 3.123
330: 7.639
1/8: 11.106
mph: 71.19
1000: 14.047
1/4: 16.503
mph: 92.81

i need a lot of help as you can see....what suspension and tires should i go with because im not getting any of my power to the wheels at all?
any help would be great im going up again this friday
thanks

fturner
07-26-2009, 01:45 PM
1. Are you doing a burn out? If so, DON'T on street tires. All you do is suck out the oils in the rubber then all you do is spin when you launch.

2. Feather the clutch when you launch. You don't have the grip so no use reving the snot out of the car and dumping the clutch. Keep the revs up to about 3000 and let the clutch out steady... this takes practice and more practice. Others with more experience with the sticks can suggest the best rpm to do that with.

3. Practice, Practice, Practice and Practice. You need to learn how your car runs and what it likes the best... what rpm, how to slip the clutch, how to shift gears etc. I wouldn't suggest going much over 5000 rpm's to shift as power is already dropping off by 4700 in these cars in a stock setup.

4. Practice some more. Think of it as racing against yourself. Don't worry about the guy in the other lane. If you beat him you beat him if not oh well, there's always another day.

5. Leave the ARC off so more weight can be transferred onto the rear wheels at launch.

6. Make sure everything in your car is running tip top. Blower belts are good, no vacuum/boost leaks, air filter is clean, MAF is clean, oil is good, coolant is good, at least 3/4's of a tank of fuel so you don't run the pump dry.

Fraser

thunderbird17sc
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
1. im not doing burnouts on street tires and there is pleanty of tread on them.
2. i feathered the clutch the first run around 2500 rpm's and didnt spin that much, then on the second run i didnt feather at 2500 rpm's and i just spun

i really want to set it up so im not having to feather the clutch at all so advice would be great

fturner
07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Then you need a set of slicks.... no other way around it. These cars have alot of torque down low and alot of weight to start moving.

Fraser

thunderbird17sc
07-26-2009, 02:54 PM
ok so nothing is going to give me better traction for the launch other than slicks over stock weels? :confused:

well im thinking of putting some wide 17's or 18's in the rear with good set of street tires and some softer springs.
has anyone played with the rear suspension and have any advice for a good setup for the track

the-big-e
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Looking at your reaction times, leave the line as soon as the first yellow light goes out.....:p

thunderbird17sc
07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
yeah sounds like a great idea :rolleyes:

so any real setup advice would be great

David Neibert
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
yeah sounds like a great idea :rolleyes:

so any real setup advice would be great

Stock suspension is good for at least 1.6 second 60ft times. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do is to mount a set of bias ply DOT slicks (do not use radials) on a set of stock SC wheels. Most people use Mickey Thompson ET streets 16" X 10.5 x 26.0" but there are several other brands and sizes that will fit.

Check the classified section for people selling used slicks (which would work fine at your power level).

David

CMac89
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Like others have stated, just buy slicks. You'll spend more money running 17's or 18's just to find out the only reason you're getting traction is because they're heavier and you're killing gear multiplication.

Get slicks and forget about it.

Ira R.
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Stock suspension is good for at least 1.6 second 60ft times. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do is to mount a set of bias ply DOT slicks (do not use radials) on a set of stock SC wheels. Most people use Mickey Thompson ET streets 16" X 10.5 x 26.0" but there are several other brands and sizes that will fit.

Check the classified section for people selling used slicks (which would work fine at your power level).

David

What David said. There is nothing you need to do other then get some tires right now. Don't bother playing with the suspension.

What you do need to do first off is get used to driving the car. You mentioned that you missed third and were spinning through first and second. Well the tires will help resolve some of the issues you are having with tire spin but they won't help you find third gear.

So practice. You want to drive a 5 speed at the track you need to get a feel for the clutch and what you need to do to make it work. Find a comfortable launch rpm. That will give you something to work on for the next dozen or so launches and will help you get a feel for the clutch as well.

Remember that dumping the clutch at 4000rpm may sound cool at a traffic light but probably won't produce the desired result at the track. Figure out why and get comfortable launching the car and you're more than halfway there.

And it's good to see someone else pick up the challenge and do this with a manual transmission! It isn't easy. Good luck!

Ira

scxr7
07-27-2009, 06:13 PM
This isn't s/c related. but when I used to run my cougar at the track, I would run 17.50's 17.30's and I remember my first time I ran a 16.99, I was so excited lol. I didn't change a thing, I learned how to launch and I learned how to shift, and I got it down to 16.20's. All you really need is "seat time" aka practice. You can cut down a full second from your E.T. If you learn how to drive your car in the 1/4 mile. rev the SH** out of the engine. redline every gear when racing. and launch soft.

now s/c related.

I had a stock suspension, stock rims and stock STREET tires. I cut 1.90's then 1.80's then a 1.75 60' time. 1.80's are possible on a stock suspension and stock tire car. just needs practice.

Super Duper Cou
07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Buy a pair of 255/50/R16 BFG drag radials to catch traction and give it like a half hour between each run to let it cool down. Put a bag of ice on the supercharger and spray the intercooler with lots of water as well. Getting traction and keeping the intake temps cool will improve your et. :)

VicRattlehead
07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Get a set of slicks et streets or I run et drag 26x10's on a 15x8 rim. Going racing on a street tire ain't gonna work. You wouldn't go play baseball without a bat ball and glove would ya? Then bring the right equipment to the track to go racing.
Btw I cut a 1.63 & 1.66 on just a set of eibach springs and stock everything else in the rear suspension.

thunderbird17sc
07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
the only problem is that im going to be doing some street class racing so street tires are the only option

XR7Kurt
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
For street tires you can lower the pressure on the rears some and make sure the fronts are at least normal pressure. Make sure you don't drive through the water box. Spinning the tires a little before you stage just to clean them off a little shouldn't hurt.
Practicing taking off on the street helped me get a good feel for the clutch, practice taking off from a light as fast as you can without spinning the tires.

Ira R.
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
the only problem is that im going to be doing some street class racing so street tires are the only option

Street class racing usually means DOT approved. ET Streets ARE DOT legal. (just don't drive them on the street if you can help it and definitely not when it's wet!) So double check on that.

And do not, I mean DO NOT! use drag radials. The sidewall is too stiff to be launching with a 5 speed and you will start breaking things.

Ira

VicRattlehead
07-28-2009, 01:32 AM
John Kolivas just ran and won in super street outlaw on a 275 STREET TIRE ran a 7.321 @ 193.60 on a STREET TIRE. mickey thompson et streetradial

so yea the proper street tire is what is needed. mt et street, hoosier quick time pro are what you need

old_coot
07-28-2009, 10:10 AM
If you are running and have to run a real "street tire" get ones with just enough tread to be legal----a lot of tread just adds tread wiggle to the equation and makes straight line traction worse under hard acceleration--otherwise go with the ET Streets if you can run them ....................Dan

thunderbird17sc
07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
IN THE STREET CLASS THERE ARE NO ELECTRONICS
DIAL FROM 11.50 TO 17.99
YOU WILL EARN POINTS TO GO TO THE BRACKETS FINALS
YOU MUST RUN STREET TIRES, MUST SAY DOT ON TIRE.
MUST HAVE MUFFLERS
THIS CLASS OF CARS MUST BE STREET LEGAL CARS.
HOOD, GRILL, LIGHTS REQUIRED.
FULL FENDERS, FACTORY WINDOWS
PAY OUT MAY CHANGE DEPENDING ON STREET CAR COUNT

http://www.capitolraceway.com/capitol_raceway_payout_and_entries.htm

Ira R.
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
IN THE STREET CLASS THERE ARE NO ELECTRONICS
DIAL FROM 11.50 TO 17.99
YOU WILL EARN POINTS TO GO TO THE BRACKETS FINALS
YOU MUST RUN STREET TIRES, MUST SAY DOT ON TIRE.
MUST HAVE MUFFLERS
THIS CLASS OF CARS MUST BE STREET LEGAL CARS.
HOOD, GRILL, LIGHTS REQUIRED.
FULL FENDERS, FACTORY WINDOWS
PAY OUT MAY CHANGE DEPENDING ON STREET CAR COUNT

http://www.capitolraceway.com/capitol_raceway_payout_and_entries.htm

There you go. Mickey Thompson ET Streets say DOT all over them :D
Checkout a set if you get the chance. Better yet go to the MT web site and see for yourself.

Ira