suspension & wheels

thunderbird17sc

what are you drag racing guy doing with your suspension? should i be making the rear soft so it squats when i get into the launch or what?
also what size rims and tires are you running in the back to get more grip(i really need help here)?
i have an 1989 tbird sc, the suspension and rims are completly stock.
you can see my terrible track times in the track forums i just posted

going through and putting some lowering springs in with new shocks all the way around will stiffen everythign up, but the main thing you will need is tires. get some slicks and it will greatly improve times and prevent wheel hop.

Most of the time you want to make the front soft and the rear firm. So that when you lunch the front lifts and pushes weight back on the rear wheels. And the rear stays firm so that weight is not absorbed its pushed down to the wheels. There is alot more that goes in to this. But a few tips I have heard is disconnect the front shock so they do not stiffen. And you can also Disconnect your front Sway Bar. That lets the front lift better on lunch.

And yes the best bag for your buck in any form of motor sport is Tires. Weather it be drag racing,autocross,rock crawling, mub bog, drifting, you name. The #1 thing you can do to make your car preform better is tires!

Last edited:
Back