Chip/Tuners

JACTcoupe

OK so I have been looking in to tuners. Im looking to buy one soon. But Im a lil lost on what to buy. Now I have heard alot about tell a guy what mods you have then they burn you a chip. But how would go about doing so. And what is the on going price on this. Also I seen tuners on the site for sell. Looks to be one you can hook to a Laptop and change. What are you guys input on them. I have done some searching but I turn up with mostly stuff for sell and people asking do they need a tune.
I was looking in to buying something like this here.
http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12parts/eec-tuner.htm
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105321&highlight=sct+chip

Binary Editor Software- www.eecanalyzer.org

Moates QuarterHorse- www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=73_63&products_id=199

Definition File for Binary Editor for your SC specific year- www.sctuning.net

That's what I would recommened. Do a search and you'll come up with recent topics about the subject.

This is the best route to go and you can be your own tuner. If you still need a tuner to get you your initial setup, a tuner can easily use your software and laptop to get you started.

Now I have heard alot about tell a guy what mods you have then they burn you a chip.

All Supercoupes are OBDI and require a chip to have any custom tuning applied. Newer vehicles can be "reprogramed", thus you see reprogrammers for sale for late model vehicles.

Folks that can do "mail" tunes are going to be people that have experience with your car as well as a number of tunes they have done for others. With this array of information, and the details of your car they can dial in a tune that will benefit your combination of parts, yet be safe enough to drive on. Most people that get mail order tunes will eventually participate in a Dyno tune event, where their existing tune can be further refined on a dyno.

Few of today's tuners will have the knowledge to effectively tune the SC car. Make sure when picking your tuner you ask lots of questions. I've had good experience working with this guy. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65963 He can do mail order tunes.

The Quarterhorse setup mentioned here is one of the latest tools to become available for our cars. Add a wide band oxygen sensor and you have all the parts needed to tune your car yourself. Or it allows you to log what your car is doing when you drive it. You can then save that log and forward it on to your tuner who can use that information to refine your program. He can then send you the program and you write it to the chip. Removing the need to mail a chip back and forth and speeding up the tuning process.

Last edited:
if you have very mild mods done is a tune required. and you say our systems can be hooked up to a laptop. do you mean like in the movies how they got the laptop sitting in the passenger seat. and mine is a 1990, can i hook my laptop that im typing with atm up to my car?

The laptop can be connected to the Quarterhorse chip and make adjustments to how the car runs, live with the laptop connected. Once you are happy, you set the program to the chip, unplug the laptop and drive the car

Back