What all did you destroy?

seawalkersee

So, aside from me and Dan Sly, who else has had the hood blow open on them and take out the windshield?

Today, I was working on the tough tough Sentra (needed brakes). Got new pads and rotors. For the second time in a row (fiveish years ago), they gave me the wrong size rotors. At the time I jacked up the Sentra, I pulled the filter off of the LX. Started to put the brakes back on and saw that I had the wrong rotors. Closed the hood on the LX, threw the filter back on, and rolled out. I forgot to get the pins and put them back on (got side tracked getting my phone or something) jumped in and headed back to the parts store. 25, 30, 31....grey gelcoat blocking my view,...what the...WHAM.

Good news, with a new piece of trim, and the glass installed it is under $250.00. Now the OTHER parts I have not even looked at sans the shocks and hinges. Both of them are screwed on both sides. I am not sure if the mounts are bad but at least the hood is still good. It did not get into the top either. I need to get the spare hood from Joel so I can make my hood latch work again.

SWS

Doh!!

I've got some shocks and I think some hinges that you can have. I can either ship them to you or bring them over sometime next month, depending on how soon you need them.

Thomas

I know how that feels. Happened twice on my 1st Mustang. If you'd had one of my hood pin indicator lights, a big red LED on your dash would have showed the hood unpinned. I tried to sell them really cheap but nobody wanted one.

so, what's up with the hood flying up like that. do the after market hoods latch like the stock, or what. i plan on getting one soon , so i figured i would ask .

chris... the parts car has a good hood, shocks that hardly hold the stock hood up, and good hinges. should work out great for you. they're yours if you want them dude.

I use hood pins and when the hood is up I store the retaining pins in the main pins, so I can't close the hood without removing and holding the retaining pins.

David

Back in the mid-60s I bought a '60 Ford convertible with a 352 4-bbl automatic. Worked at a Texaco gas station at the time.

It was the 1st night I owned the car. On the way home that night, I was running next to my cousin Nicky. He was driving his dad’s ’64 Ford 390 4-bbl 3-on-the-tree – a former state patrol car. I was gonna show him up by driving by him and leaving him in the dust. We got on the expressway – no one around. Nicky got a half car length ahead of me in the left lane. No matter how fast I went – 60, 70, 80, 90 etc., he stayed right there and kept looking back with a big grin on his face.

When we got in the low triple digits, my friend Bill, who was riding shotgun, advised we should slow down. We were going too fast and I realized there was no way I was gonna pass that 390. I let it go and Nicky zoomed out of sight down the road

When I got down to 70 mph there was this big BAM and everything went black. I slammed on the brakes, swerving all over the place. I don’t think we knew if we were dead or alive. When I got stopped, I realized that the hood latch, and there was only a single latch on the car, broke.

Good thing the convertible top was up. The hood, which was wider than the windshield, bent back at the top of the windshield. Half the hood was flat on the roof.

Kicked that car until my foot hurt. Our friend Kenny came along in his Rambler wagon and stopped. He had some rope. Tied the hood to the front bumper and went home.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Changed the oil in my car than walked away for something. Came back and decided to take a drive. Hit about 30 and the hood stood straight up and smashed the front glass in. Cracked the dash. All because I figured the pins were enough after installing my FMIC and removing the hood latch to make it work. I than build a custom latched so it wont happen again. Broke the corners off the hood as well. Oh well

Ken

Forgot to bolt mine down on my old 93 5spd when leaving the track to get some gas...about 30-35 is when mine flew over the car and landed in the ditch...really dodged a bullet. The hinge mounts rips out of the glass and the hood just took flight.

Sorry to hear about your luck...you tend to remember a lot better after it happens to ya. ;):D:p

-Tim

wow, some crazy stories here . I'm glade no one got hurt, so when you get a after market hood you would think them hood pins should do fine them right?

The aftermarket hood latch broke off. I am going to take one off of a stock hood and put another piece of metal on the insdie of the hood and rivit it all together.

I have another (at least one) set of hood sturts here. I will look later to see what all it destroyed and let you guys know. The hood came out like a champ though.

On a different note, how do you fill low spots in glass hoods? EVERY ONE I have ever seen has the low spot on the fron where it curves down to the nose, and another on the top at the rear of the cowel on the passenger side.

SWS

I had hood pins on my old 91 explore and went into the store and someone stole them off and went on the on ramp to the high way and all at once the hood opened and cracked the windshield and they also had the rear hatch flew open they pushed the button trying to break in so therefor all my tools slide out the back and all over the highway. Was about 8 years ago, found all my tools in about an hour of playing chicken :)

Jerry

I had hood pins on my old 91 explore and went into the store and someone stole them off and went on the on ramp to the high way and all at once the hood opened and cracked the windshield and they also had the rear hatch flew open they pushed the button trying to break in so therefor all my tools slide out the back and all over the highway. Was about 8 years ago, found all my tools in about an hour of playing chicken :)

Jerry

that's BS that some one did that...............

Back