PDA

View Full Version : Virus warning on email from Rich Thomson

JTBIRDSC
09-25-2002, 04:57 PM
My anti-virus just caught a virus in an email from Rich Thomson. Since he and I have had no contact or dealings for quite some time it is assumed that the virus got into his computer and sent the email. If that is the case then it was probably sent to everyone in his address book.

Here is the message I received:

Receiver, A virus has been detected in an e-mail attachment. Date: 09/25/2002 18:39:23 Method: SMTP From: richt@erols.com File: Cbbh.bat Action: deleted Virus: WORM_KLEZ.H

Jack Thompson

93 Mark VIII
09-25-2002, 10:08 PM
klez spoofs the senders name, so it may not have come from Rich. I get a few a day from different members of the MN12 community, but I know some of the sent addresses are incorrect.

Brian

VicRattlehead
09-26-2002, 12:49 AM
read the post that rich posted on mn12performance.

http://www.mn12performance.com/cgi-mn12performance/config.cgi?read=7146

68COUGAR
09-26-2002, 01:31 AM
I once got a Klez infected E-mail, sent from my own 2 yr. old defunct E-ddress!

I get at least 3-4 Klez E-mails per day. Since Klez uses Outlook & Outlook Express to propogate, Netscape users are immune to Klez!

68COUGAR

JTBIRDSC
09-27-2002, 12:01 AM
Now, I have a message on my Outlook that says my email to magnumpowers was undeliverable. I have never sent an email to magnumpowers. That is not in my address book. I ran the virus check on my system and found no virus. Hmmmm.

Jack

68COUGAR
09-27-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by JTBIRDSC
Now, I have a message on my Outlook that says my email to magnumpowers was undeliverable. I have never sent an email to magnumpowers. That is not in my address book. I ran the virus check on my system and found no virus. Hmmmm.

Jack

Yep, That's the way KLEZ works. What it means is that the Klez infected computer, has your E-ddress AND Magnum Powers E-ddress, in the Outlook (Express) address book. Klez sent the Klez infected E-mail to Magnum Powers, and made it look like it came from you.

That's how I got a Klez E-mail from my own defunct E-ddress.

68COUGAR