What are your coolant temp / Mechanical Gauge

Flip

Since I just did the top end on the SC and fixed the A/C the coolant temp has been staying on around 209 F

It warms up to 180 in short order within a few miles and goes up to the 205-209 range. Just seems kind of high to me, maybe not.

Wonder if a pusher fan would help or just block off incoming air?

Autometer Mechanical gauge / mounted where the stock sensor was.
A/C on high.
High speed fan running / shroud in great shape and sealed.
Stop and go city traffic
Griffin Radiator
180 thermostat (Which I guess would be staying open all the time.)
Aircon shorten Condenser.
I/C fan running all the time.
Central Florida 95 degrees / high humidly

Thanks,

I wouldn't say the temps are necessarily high, but you probably could do a little better.

1) MP chin spoiler really works.

2) Did you seal around the IC also? The entire rad support should be sealed to the radiator/IC cores.

3) I'd pull the thermostat and boil check it. It may not be fully opening until 210 deg. David Neibert went through this ordeal with his. I think ultimately he found that a Mr. Gasket high flow 180 was the most accurate and opened the quickest once 180 deg was reached.

4) If it heats up primarily in traffic, you might find a pusher fan on the AC core is helpful. Just make sure the AC core is also sealed to the radiator or it won't help you any.

Another hint: Try switching to Duracool refrigerant. It's significantly more effective than R134 so you may not need to run your AC as hard to get adequate cooling in the cabin. The less you run the AC compressor, the less heat it will have to control in the condenser leaving more cool (relatively speaking) air for the radiator.

The MP chin Spoiler is a good idea. Will have to order one.

Did not seal around the DIC so will need to check on how to do that.

Did just put a new 180 in but did not test it for opening. Need to check that.

Might switch to Duracool, I just been keeping it too frosty in there. I like it as cold as possible in whatever I'm driving. Never been a fan of Florida summers. :D

During the Florida winter my '90 SC will run around 190 all the time.

But now, during the summer with the a/c on, I'll see 200 around town and 210 when I get on it. Switching off the a/c makes a big difference right away - about ten degrees.

The MP chin spoiler has helped.

Where and how do you seal off around the double IC and condensor/radiator? The IC has that rubber bellows in between it and the radiator core.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

There's still a gap between the a/c core and the rad and the IC bellows. You need to put foam in that gap to direct the air right into the bellows and on the outside edges and across the top. Also it helps to put foam in that gap vertically between the rad and the IC.

Also keep in mind that air will flow like water and take the least path of resistance, so anything you do to direct air where it really needs to go.

Fraser

I think the Chin Spoiler will help. I any have about 3/8" between the rad/ condenser and the DIC. I could slip some foam between them to close off the gap. Took it for a 60 mile highway drive this afternoon and it stayed at 190/195 the whole time. Went up to 200 around town, so not too bad I guess.

I think the Chin Spoiler will help. I any have about 3/8" between the rad/ condenser and the DIC. I could slip some foam between them to close off the gap. Took it for a 60 mile highway drive this afternoon and it stayed at 190/195 the whole time. Went up to 200 around town, so not too bad I guess.

That really is pretty good considering that the cars were designed to run at 220 from the factory.

inst that the chin spoiler under the front bumper? mine is lose and missing a bolt there....does that make any difference?

i dont know how you guys are running so hot. in the winter i have to block half my rad off and drive about 30miles to get to 160. in the summer since i installed twin cowls i run highest at 178 at 75mph with the a/c on max

i dont know how you guys are running so hot. in the winter i have to block half my rad off and drive about 30miles to get to 160. in the summer since i installed twin cowls i run highest at 178 at 75mph with the a/c on max

then u must have a ghost in ur SC from Alaska:D...

mine run pretty HOT as i could feel it while driving....its like mount baker is just about to explode...:mad:

On my car I've never seen higher than 194 even when I've done 8 back to back runs at the track... and thats in 90 degree weather.

Fraser

On my car I've never seen higher than 194 even when I've done 8 back to back runs at the track... and thats in 90 degree weather.

Fraser

If you are implying that there is something wrong with Flip's car, I think you'd be mostly mistaken. His biggest concern is in traffic where there is little airflow, combined with AC on high and not 90 deg weather, but 95 deg combined with high humidity. Add to that the severe Florida sun and hot pavement, and it's not abnormal to see temps in the 135 deg range (or higher) near the pavement. You just can't compare driving conditions in the NE to Florida conditions. ;)

Most of the things I mentioned in my first post are primarily going to affect driving over 30mph. In traffic a pusher fan and proper sealing of the AC core are going to be the biggest help, I think.

I was just saying what my car does... not saying anything else was wrong ;). Even on a day the Humidex hits 121F up here in stop-n-go traffic the temps don't creep more than a couple of degrees above low fan on settings ;).

But I'm not making alot of power either so thats will probably make a difference.

Fraser

If you are implying that there is something wrong with Flip's car, I think you'd be mostly mistaken. His biggest concern is in traffic where there is little airflow, combined with AC on high and not 90 deg weather, but 95 deg combined with high humidity. Add to that the severe Florida sun and hot pavement, and it's not abnormal to see temps in the 135 deg range (or higher) near the pavement. You just can't compare driving conditions in the NE to Florida conditions. ;)

Most of the things I mentioned in my first post are primarily going to affect driving over 30mph. In traffic a pusher fan and proper sealing of the AC core are going to be the biggest help, I think.

i also have the low side of the fan on manual control, with an ic fan aswell. mine does get hotter then normal (178) when running a/c however im in south il. ive been to florida before. then increase in temp for your environment might be about normal. perhaps an additional pusher fan could help. wrapping your exhaust might help reduce heat. open up your hood with a cowl, that helps reduce heat (will suck for winter) but will reduce heat.

Back