Vent System Stinks

Kurt Sunday

SCCoA Member
I have a 90 SC that sat for 5 years. The AC does not work. but when I turn on the Vent and hit the blower I get blasted with the worst smell ever. I smells like pi-s-s.

What do I need to clean/replace to get rid of this. Does anyone know where and how it is caused?

I am going to put new seats in and I don't want them smelling like a pet shop.

Thanks!

You likely have mold or something biological in the Heate/AC box. You can try those cans they sell at the parts store you spray it into the intake of the heater system right where the right cowl is. Its supposed to kill bacteria and other organisms. You might have to do it several times. Also use the fan often and it should blow away some of the stuff over time too.

They make deodorizer that you can spray into the HVAC intake (Cowl). All parts stores carry it. Make sure the evaporator box drain is not clogged...

take of your cowl and clean th heck out of it..Use some deoderizor enzme cleaner..

Also pour some of that enzyme cleaner into all of your heater and defrost vents..Put some towels on the carpet to catch any that spills out. That should do wonders...If not..the AC/Heat box will need ot come out

You cna get good quality enzyme cleaner ta pet supply stores

Thanks Guys. Carpet is coming out this weekend. I'll try it.

Should/Can I take the blower motor out via the glovebox to get to cleaning things better?

Should/Can I take the blower motor out via the glovebox to get to cleaning things better?
Yes. Thats the only way to really get to the problem. If you have cats running around... thats one of the things they like to do... mark their territory. I'd like to mark one of them, if I could ever catch them in the act. ;) Ammonia and/or bleach should kill the smell. Be careful with the bleach for obvious reasons.

Seriously a good enzme cleaner..You can get a deoderizer but it really isnt 100%.

As been said turn the heat on full blast when you do this.

Mouse in the car...

That is not going to help you much until you kill the mouse that lives duck. May I suggest Rat & Mouse mini blocks? Put them on a plat in your car for a week. The mouse will eat it and search for water, drink the water and explode!!! As long as you are not running your AC too much or have a leaky sun roof you should be rid of the pest. :eek:

Yes. Thats the only way to really get to the problem. If you have cats running around... thats one of the things they like to do... mark their territory. I'd like to mark one of them, if I could ever catch them in the act. ;) Ammonia and/or bleach should kill the smell. Be careful with the bleach for obvious reasons.

Place a bowl of Prestone II next to the car and your Cat problem will be solved. :D Or simply get rid of the mice that attract the Cats. ;)

Last edited:
I heard Lysol is really good at that.

Fraser

true.. we use that at my shop. I forget if these cars have a cabin air filter or not. but if it does change it, if it doesn't. spray the cowl with lysol, spray inside the vents with lysol, and spray the blower motor with lysol. open the windows and turn your a/c on to HIGH

Back