gauges

slowpoke

i have 3 full dash boards atm. i was thinking about custom installing an after market oil press and water temp gauge in the dash in the same location as the stock gauges. my question is, does the cars computer require the stock gauges to be plugged in for readings or does it only send signal to those gauges.

Off the top of my head the EEC sends no signals to the gauge cluster unless you want to count the cruise control. The Vehicle Speed Sensor sends a signal to the speedometer as well as the EEC but it goes through an intermediate connection block as I remember. The ARC system has sensors in the steering wheel whose output goes to the EEC for steering wheel angle which combined with speed and the EEC derives g-force to actuate the ARC.

Just in case I have the references to check...what year SC are we talking about?

Frit,

My understanding was that it was year dependant but perhaps I am confusing that with the Speed Control. The more I learn the more I forget it seems....the price we pay for not dying young.

Back