car dies...then comes back

toronto_1990sc

lost all power at a stop light..dead...like i shut the car off. no electrical or anything...couldn't even turn on my hazard lights..i popped the hood to have a look..jiggled the battery cables....seemed ok....then i got back in...the hazards had turned on so it seemed to fix itself and it started fine.

low fuel light was on (1/8 tank)..but not empty...negative battery cable might have been a bit loose, i had only put it on finger tight...but that wouldn't cause this would it?

ideas?

p.s. i just replaced the cam sensor with a new one last week.

Last edited:
hard to say without seeing it. if there is corrosion on the leeds then yes finger tight could cause this. so far though with the info you have given about this it could be a long list of possibilities. keep in mind this car uses alot of electric. so a bad or weak ground can do more then just this, it could cause damages to the pc or worse. check all wires grounds ext, make sure they are all good and see if it happens again is my advice.

just to let you know... yesterday i was putting new battery in my SC so i hand tightened my battery cables...i started it to jus check first and it jus cranked and everything went off no power...so i tightened the battery and everything came back....so u gotta tight those clamps first....current needs tight connection to make tight power:D

just to let you know... yesterday i was putting new battery in my SC so i hand tightened my battery cables...i started it to jus check first and it jus cranked and everything went off no power...so i tightened the battery and everything came back....so u gotta tight those clamps first....current needs tight connection to make tight power:D

it would be great if thats all it was. but would a loose cable kill the car while it already running? i thought the battery only started the car and once running it does nothing...is that wrong?

it would be great if thats all it was. but would a loose cable kill the car while it already running? i thought the battery only started the car and once running it does nothing...is that wrong?
A loose cable can kill the car. Especially if its a ground cable. Clean your battery posts and clamps, engine ground straps on both ends, and any cables bolted to the frame with steel wool and see if your problem goes away.

Mine would shutdown while driving, lights would go out, then everything would start back up again. It was a defective ignition switch. If it dies on you again, jiggle the key and see if it cranks back up.

A loose cable can kill the car. Especially if its a ground cable. Clean your battery posts and clamps, engine ground straps on both ends, and any cables bolted to the frame with steel wool and see if your problem goes away.

thanks! can you tell me where to find all these grounds? this is all new to me.

Mine would shutdown while driving, lights would go out, then everything would start back up again. It was a defective ignition switch. If it dies on you again, jiggle the key and see if it cranks back up.

i had it idling for 1/2 hour today with no problem...

where is the ignition switch located (inside where the key goes?) and how can i test it?

if it's defective is it a difficult fix?

thanks!

i had it idling for 1/2 hour today with no problem...

where is the ignition switch located (inside where the key goes?) and how can i test it?

if it's defective is it a difficult fix?

thanks!

Change the crank sensor otherwise you'll end up stranded somewhere and have to get it towed. You can replace it yourself if you’re able to, otherwise I’d have someone do it for you that has done one. Procedures are on this site. Search for Crank Sensor.

ok but i mean 100% totally die....no electrical power or anything. no lights, no hazard lights..zero electrical.

but then a few seconds later everything's fine...i restart and drive away.

could this really be a crank sensor?

a bad crank sensor would stall the car and not restart right?...but it wouldn't kill all electrical power (lights etc) would it? when you have a bad crank sensor you can still turn on your lights can't you?

i'll check the grounds.....but what else could cause this?

-driving fine
-stop at light
-car DIES....exactly like i turned off the car and removed the key.
-i try to turn on blinky hazard lights..nothing.
-i open hood and look in..jiggle battery terminal for luck.
-i go back in car..hazards are now blinking
-i start car just fine and drive away.

help!!!

tighten the battery cables and forget about it----but do check both ends of the cables....................Dan

Ignition switch that is in the steering column on the right side about half way between the steering wheel and the dash. White block with a bunch of wires going to it.

Fraser

toronto_1990sc: if you disconnect the battery when its running...will it shut off the car?

Absolutly don't do that!! It can spike the eystem ans fry the eec and every sensor on the car. But what you have discribed is telling me its a battery or connection issue. Check every ground even engine to body since one ground being off on these cars can make trouble shooting a pain. Also check the connectons from the positive to the starter silinoid. The part on the drivers fender with all the wires attatched to it.

Absolutly don't do that!! It can spike the eystem ans fry the eec and every sensor on the car. But what you have discribed is telling me its a battery or connection issue. Check every ground even engine to body since one ground being off on these cars can make trouble shooting a pain. Also check the connectons from the positive to the starter silinoid. The part on the drivers fender with all the wires attatched to it.

will do, thanks.

oops i did take off the negative battery cable while running for a moment...nothing happened. could i have done damage?

gonna go try cleaning grounds and connectors now then go for a spin.

if your lucky it didn't do a thing. But its just like your home comp if its gets a power surge it can fry it. But i seriously doubt you killed anything. But keep an eye on your alt (to see if its charging correctly)

lol!

yeah i guess that's all i can do for now. i'm just trying to troubleshoot as best as i can to see if i can prevent it from happening again.

If you lost all power including lights and everything----then the battrery had to be disconnected somewhere---the ignition switch cannot do all that and the alternator cannot keep everything running at idle----revved up yes but not at idle with lights and all running---had to be a battery connection.............Dan

If you lost all power including lights and everything----then the battrery had to be disconnected somewhere---the ignition switch cannot do all that and the alternator cannot keep everything running at idle----revved up yes but not at idle with lights and all running---had to be a battery connection.............Dan

so the battery does do something while the car's running? (i did disconnect the negative battery cable for a few seconds while idling..just to see what happens..nothing happened..car kept running.

Back