master cylinder and abs pump

danekejt

i just got the sad news from the garage that my brake master cylinder and abs pump are both bad. The garage mentioned that ford doesnt make these parts anymore and they checked some bone yards and had no luck finding anything.

What can be done so i dont have to send this car to the junk yard? The car only has 72k on it and is in good shape.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Check the wanted to buy forum here. There are a couple companies that may rebuild it as well. The pump motor can be rebuilt by a qualified electrical motor rebuilding company. Companies that rebuild alternators and starters often can handle it.

cancel abs

you can cancel the abs with a 1992 crown vic master and a non abs t-bird booster theres some post about this!

These units are not that hard to work on.....:p

There are 4 main trouble parts to note: ABS relay, accumulator, pressure switch, and pump motor.....:mad:

A problem with any of these parts will cause the brake system to be compromised.....:rolleyes:

The first thing you want to do is verify that the pump motor will run....

Pump the brakes about 15 to 20 times to discharge pressure in the accumulator....

Then turn the ignition to run and see if you can hear the pump motor running....

Thanks for all of your replies. I have read in previous posts that there are companies that will rebuild these units? Is there a company out there that sells referbed units? Is that still true and if so who are they? I'd rather keep the setup that is on the car. From what i've read about the conversion the results are not that great in way of brake feel when braking.

Thanks for any and all replies.

John
91 T-bird

spinningwheels-sc has them......very expensive. There is one on ebay right now actually that looks to be in pretty good condition. You can probly find a good used one with low miles if you post an ad in the wanted section.

Brian,

Thanks for the spinningwheels-sc suggestion. I'm going to go that route. I plan on having this car for quite awhile so putting in a newly refurbished unit makes sense. The price is hefty but it beats having to deal with this again down the road if i buy a used unit.

I will also check with them to see if they offer abs pumps.

Thanks.

John
91-SC

Spinning wheels is the first place I would go but there are some rebuilt units for sale on E-bay right now.

Ask your mechanic `How are you sure the ABS unit itself has failed???'

I got my '91 SC cheap becuase the ford tech guy said the ABS unit needed to be replace.. all that was needed was a ABS pump Relay, accumalator (what cuased the pump relay to die), and a ground to be added to the ABS unit itself.. $330 in parts plus my time...

mind you that car had other issues too but that's something else

I got one of my parts cars because the owner said it had no brakes.....:eek:

Swapped out the ABS relay and then it had great brakes......:D

Too bad the hood had folded up over the windshield or it would have made a decent daily driver.....:p

A few months after purchasing my 91..... in 91... I had low brake fluid warning light. Took it back to the dealer explained to him I was adding brake fluid regularly. They looked it over and said they couldn't find any leaks.
So, for about 10 years I just added brake fluid as needed to keep the light from coming on. Till one day the brake pedal got hard and the ABS and BRAKE light came on. They wanted $1,500 to rebuild the ABS on a car that had a blue book of $1,200. So the car sat for 7 years. I thought about sending it to the junkyard. Not able to sell it with no brakes.
Recently replaced with a manual system from a Crown Vic. Now I have a car I can drive again and the brakes are simple, no electronic shenanigans. Manual system, stops fine, no lockups.

Just wanted to give an update on this. I hoping to get my car back today. I ended up ordering a refurbed master cylinder\abs pump from spinning wheels sc. They were great to order from and very personable. They did a great job. I highly recommend checking them out if you need parts for your ride.

Thanks again to all who posted.

John

Back