odometer not working

godavid

SCCoA Member
My odometer quit working and I replaced the gears. It still does not work. What else affects the odometer? thanks

I contacted a vendor about the possibility of having them repair my speedo. They made mention of another potential cause of the odometer failing and the speedo still working. They mentioned drying out of an electrolytic capacitor but were not specific as to which one could be the cause. I would assume the capacitor in question would be a cap associated with motor drive for the odometer but I have never disassembled a unit to try and find out which one it might be. However it should not be too hard to locate the various electrolytic caps in the unit and replace any that it might be.

I have the circuit board from a disassembled speedometer that has a working motor for the gears. If you want it let me know and Ill send it to you. Its just gather dust and taking up space on my computer stand, lol ;)

thanks, I talked with the vendor and he told me to see if the gears are in there right. He said the odometer and the tripmeter should turn at the same time. I took it apart again and both gears turn at the same time. I have not tried it in the car yet. He said that if it does not work then it is the circuit board, so here goes it. later. I will let you know about the circuit board. thanks again

I went to the junkyard and got a circuit board, it worked for a tenth of a mile. Does anyone have an idea what I can looked at next? thanks

Any speedo from any bird or cougar will work.....

If you can, find one that doesn't read 000.0 on the trip meter....:p

I have seen at least three or four other speedos that have a cream color assembly behind the face plate and do not use the planetary gear system.....

I tried one in my 92 SC and it seems to be doing just fine.....:D

I forgot to mention that I put the new gears and the circuit board from the junkyard speedo and it just went a tenth of a mile and quit. The only thing I can think of is to replace the unit that holds all the guages and see if it works. I cannot think of anything else that might be wrong with the thing.

odometer still not working! I replaced the VSS today and the speedometer seems to be working better but still no odometer. I don't have a clue as to what to do next. I have a electrical problem starting the car too.

I thought, I should let you all know that the odometer is working finally. I believe now, that it was the VSS. I replace the VSS sat and then I changed the circuit board again in the speedo. And I don't have any electrical problems since I applied heat sink gel to the dis. It runs like a striped ~~~ ape. It may not run tomorrow but it is running today, thank you, for all your input.

Back