Supercharger/tach/hard crank issues?

Onerious

OK, so I took my SC out to the store about 30 minuets ago and she does fine and was normal.

By normal I mean when the vac gauge is near the 0 she does her bucking and heaving (but doesn't die) and she was fine.

But after I get home then take her to another store she wouldn't start. The starter would crank well but then come to a end till I let off the key then tried again. After trying for at least 45 seconds she would start and so far one time out of 4 she did a tiny puff of white smoke.
Now when I give it some throttle to the vacuum she wont buck and heave. It sounds a hair different but when running it seems to run smoother now. Along with all that my tachometer stopped working but when I turn the key on I see it shift a little and when I hit the ignition it does its pulse to show its turning the engine over but then just stops when the engine starts.

I Would like to know anyones opinion on what my issue may be, if I should be worried that my supercharger stopped working or what. Please Help.

PS: I am only 17 and have limited knowledge about mechanics work but can fix any issue with the help of my dad/uncle if I have the money.

PPS: If anyone needs more information on the issue I can gladly add on to it and give more information.

unplug the cam sensor, its above the waterpump, behind the supercharger belt, its a black round plastic thing. easy way to tell.

Yeah, my uncle and I checked the codes tho. none were cam sensors. We can run the codes again tho.

And I am gonna add I noticed this happened after I let my car idle for 3 minutes then drove it to the little store then it wouldn't start easy. Could I have ran hot even tho the fan and thermo temp gauge said I was at normal temp? Like could that have messed something up internally?

then drove it to the little store then it wouldn't start easy. Could I have ran hot even tho the fan and thermo temp gauge said I was at normal temp? Like could that have messed something up internally?

No, don't panic...that is simply an indication of the system attempting to compensate for a malfunction, such as the cam sensor needing replacement (at the least), as already mentioned.

These cars come with a large amount of complicated electronics, despite their age. Best to get used to understanding the systems involved if you intend to keep it and keep it running :)

Then what about my tach? It still wont read my RPMs.

I let everything cool, and took it on a run with my friend for 10 minuets. When cold it started and cranked over very well. But after the run she was at a near running temp and then wouldn't start well.

If its just the cam sensors then I guess I shouldn't fear too much. But would that help explain why my bucking and heaving just stopped and it seemed to have changed? It all confuses me and this is the only car I have to get to work.

bucking plus loss of tach is exactly what i just had....I replaced the cam sensor..fixed it. (course now there's something else wrong)

OK, I will get what cash I can to replace that and see if that works. I hope it does.

Update when I do.

Thanks!

Bought the sensor. But the books I am reading are not 100% clear. Do I need to take out the whole entire camshaft synchronizer assembly and do all the markings and positionings or can I just pop the camshaft position sensor off and plug the new one in?

Instructions would be nice, and hopefully this will fix my issue.

Thanks!

you can just unbolt the sensor from the sincronizer. Its easy. unplug the sensor not too sure if you need any extensions or not but get a 5.5mm socket and unbolt the 2 bolts and take it off and reverse the process to put it back together.

Thanks XR, After this Tornado warning/watch I will see about doing that. Uncle said that should be what I need to do too.

I will inform everyone when I do it and if it works. Thanks guys!

~Andrew

Thanks everyone! I replaced the camshaft position sensor and then took her out for a cruise.

She started up cold perfectly, tach worked and everything. Decided to hit the highway to see how she handles when calling for boost or at the 10-0 on vac, no bucking and heaving. She seemed to have gotten up to speed a hair faster also.

She rides much better and I no longer can make my dad sick when I give it too little boost or to much vac.

Thanks a million again guys!

~Andrew

Back