Vibration/Rattling noises

cyoder

So I decided that I was going to change all 6 fuel injectors, wires, and spark plugs on my 1990 SC. The car runs excellent in park and neutral at idle but when I put in reverse or drive it starts to vibrate and make rattling noises really bad. You dont hear/feel anything if your driving down the road but if you hit a stoplight you immediately feel the vibration and hear the noises....anyone else have this kind of problem before?

why did you replace the injectors? they are not a normal maintenance item. have you checked the condition of your motor mounts? stock ones are hydraulic and dont last very long, can cause the sort of issues you describe. i changed mine to solid rubber many years ago, and they are still holding out.

Flexplate??????????

if it was the flex plate in an auto it would do it at an idle to. im thinking bad tranny and or stall converter. what does the fluid look like, is it full, is it shifting correctly, do you have late shifting or easy/early down shifting, has you power and/or gas millage taken a dip, are all the wires to the tranny hooked up(not sure about ford but in my Chevy when it goes into gear the ecc sends a different idle all due to a sensor in the tranny. all things to check. wouldn't hurt to check the codes, but i don't think that's your problem here.oh ya also check to vacuum leaks :)

I've been having pretty much the same problem, but mine doesn't seem to start til the engine warms up. Putting it in gear almost stalls it, one thing ive noticed is the rattle disappears when cruising but comes back when you let off the gas. No change to injectors on mine however.
If the motor mounts were bad, would it give enough play for the gear to hit the bellhousing? under torque.

Back