Stereo Sound Deadening Question

Tazer999

Aights, the overhaul has begun, just sold the old amp and bought the new one.

I am making a complete full trunk box, and was just wondering if I should cover the entire box with sound deadening then carpet over it, or cover all of the metal panels in the trunk? I am assmuming just the metal panels

PS: Already have deadening on trunk lid, behind license plate, behind taillight reflectors, and doors

Sound Dampening

Hey Tazer,

You want to put Dynamat or equivalent directly on the panel that the speaker is mounted to. You will also want to put it directly behind the speakers on the door panels. You should also put it on any surface that is resonating or buzzing to minimize any unwanted resonances. It sounds like you already covered the areas that will resonate the most. Trunk lid, tail lights door panels and etc...

You can over do it with the sound deadener. Small amounts that are strategically placed will dampen most of your vibrations. Remember that the more you add the heavier you make your car. Thus you waste some of your hard earned modifications to your engine. These cars are heavy enough as is. They also have very good sound deadener installed from the factory placed strategically throughout the vehicle.

As for your sub-woofer box. Build it out of 3/4" MDF with lots of internal bracing, screws and liquid nails and you should not need to sound deaden it. The box will resonate at a certain frequency anyway but you don't want any unwanted vibrations coloring the sound.

Hope this helps. Bob

Ok, I am thinking of just doing it all on the floor of the trunk and not on all the side panel pieces. The doors, lights, license plate, trunk lid etc are already done, but the old system even still made the car rattle bad, lol

Thanks guys

Back