aluminum flywheel ressurfacing

mywhite89

Hey, looks like I'm gonna at least have to step up to the centerforce clutch before the shootout this year. I went through the gears pretty hard on my car the other night. Right when I shifted into 3rd gear it felt like I missed the gear, my clutch just slipped bad. I put a stock clutch in it after the shootout last year, its just not gonna be enough to hold this monster down the track I'm afraid.

I have the aluminum flywheel that scp.com sells. I'm afraid I may want to have it checked since the clutch has smoked pretty bad a couple times. Is there anything you can do with this flywheel or do you have to buy a new one?

Chris

Hey, looks like I'm gonna at least have to step up to the centerforce clutch before the shootout this year. I went through the gears pretty hard on my car the other night. Right when I shifted into 3rd gear it felt like I missed the gear, my clutch just slipped bad. I put a stock clutch in it after the shootout last year, its just not gonna be enough to hold this monster down the track I'm afraid.

I have the aluminum flywheel that scp.com sells. I'm afraid I may want to have it checked since the clutch has smoked pretty bad a couple times. Is there anything you can do with this flywheel or do you have to buy a new one?

Chris

I think you can ask an engine shop to put the flywheel in a lathe and see if the insert is still true. I did this myself on my bad one last year.

I could be wrong, but in my experience I don't think you can resurface the steel insert on the fly wheel. For one, the screws that retain it are barely below the surface and if you remove any of that surface they will be exposed. The steel insert can be purchased from SCP or SPEC. (I think that is the brand he sells). It ran me ~$90 last May. http://www.lmperformance.com/

If you did ruin the flywheel itself, which is entirely possible. :rolleyes: I'd go with a Mcleod, it looks to be a much better designed aluminum flywheel. For example the ring gear is held on with REAL bolts instead of pressure fit with 3 small screws and washers.

Back