A/C Compressor Install

Install and charge? Are you providing a new or used one.

Well anyway, here's what you're looking at which would be reasonable.

parts:
compressor: $250
dryer: $50-$75
liquid line: $30-$40
r134 refrigerant: 3 cans @ $12 = $36

labor:
remove old compressor, liq line, dryer... 1 hr
flush evaporator, HP+suction line, condenser.. 1/2 hr
install new compressor, liquid line, dryer, and orings 1/2 hr.
vacuum system, test for leaks 1/2 hr
charge with r134a 1/2 hr

so about 3hrs labor. @$75/hr = $235
parts = $410

So reasonable would be in the $635 range.

Maybe a leack only?

Thanks for your reply! I wondered if you could answer this question. I took the car out of storage after two years a few weeks ago. Had the usual oil change, radiator flush, tire balance maintenance done. I also had the AC recharged. Funtioned fine (COLD!) up until yesterday. It's still blowing, but the air is lukewarm.

Would that maybe indicate more of a leak somewhere?

thank you, Chris.

Thanks for your reply! I wondered if you could answer this question. I took the car out of storage after two years a few weeks ago. Had the usual oil change, radiator flush, tire balance maintenance done. I also had the AC recharged. Funtioned fine (COLD!) up until yesterday. It's still blowing, but the air is lukewarm.

Would that maybe indicate more of a leak somewhere?

thank you, Chris.

TBirdSCfan is right on with the estimate. I've paid right in that area to have the compressors replaced on my '97 LX and '90 SC.

Some leaks are obvious - sometimes you can see the a/c oil around junctions in the a/c lines under the hood.

Some shops use detectors that sound like Geiger counters to find leaks. Or, they put dye in the system and put on yellow looking glasses so they can see the leaks.

Just hope any leak isn't in the evaporator. That's the most expensive a/c fix, unless you pull the dash yourself.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back